crops

monkeyboots

lads just like to ask whats the general view from farmers as regaurds shooting crows/woodies on standing crops ie -barley/wheat i called with 2 different farmers yesterday to ask about shooting there barley fields as they had mostly crows feeding in a flattened corner of the field but both said no wait till its cut , then had a 3rd farmer tell me to shoot away on his standing crop of wheat was also talking to a mate who shot a standing barley field and shot 130 crows and the farmer was mad , seems sum farmers have different views on shooting standing crops whats the general view

You have to ask the Farmer and get his opinion, as its the only one that matters.

Most Farmers want the crops protected if there are birds feeding on it, regardless of whether its standing, or laying.

They also assume you will not damage the crop, whilst shooting.

Walking into standing crops can cause more damage than some people appreciate, even the high winds we have had lately are being blamed for shattering the rape pods and knocking ripe grain out of the ears.

I use to shoot a Farm where they didn't allow any rooks , or crows shot.

There was a small rookery at the back of the Farm and the Farmers wife liked watching them from the kitchen window.

It pays to ask. :good:

I didn't have to ask. I was TOLD to shoot every corvid I see. One farmer, like you Cranfield, had a wife who liked to watch the rooks from her window, however I was asked to shoot the bejeezus out of another two rookeries on the farm. Nowt so queer as folk. Most will quote the good rooks can do, on the leatherjackets etc. but as soon as they are pinching stock feed, or pecking the polythene covering of the haylage bales, it's up guards and at 'em. The old name for the rook was seed crow, and the damage they can do to freshly drilled crops is criminal. They seem to be able to gauge exactly where maize seeds are planted, and leave a neat row of holes, where they have eaten the crop.

Shooting any pests over laid crops is an exercise in damage limitation. It is better to leave them where they fall than to trample over the crop, and cause even more damage.