Proof marks question

JohnfromUK

Gents,

I have an Merkel o/u which seems to have been London proofed at 0.729 with 2 3/4" chambers and 3 1/4 tons - which I believe to be between 1954 and 1989 (in fact I believe the gun was imported circa 1963).  See first two photos for these marks.

There is also a marking (apparently Birmingham stating "Sleeved Chamber" and with a crossed swords mark with the letters/digits "B" at the top, "1" on the left, "0" on the right, and an indistinct mark at the bottom which may be a "3" or a "B" (or possibly something else!) and another mark, unknown to me.  See second two photos.  This is visibly on one barrel only, but may be under the (3 piece) forend wood on the other barrel.

The gun (which I have owned for some time) measures 0.729 still in both barrels and the barrels have been fully checked pronounced fine by a gunsmith ...... but I forgot to ask what 'Sleeved Chamber" meant!  There is no sleeving line obvious anywhere and no little engraved ring hiding a sleeving ring.

My question is what does 'Sleeved Chamber"mean?  Has a 'sleeve' of some sort been inserted in a chamber - and if so, why?  There is no evidence of any pitting, corrosion, fine boring or any other alteration either internally or externally.

Many thanks.

Proof lower barrel.jpeg

Proof upper barrel.jpeg

Chamber sleeved 1.jpeg

Chamber sleeved 2.jpeg

Dunno what sleeved chamber is, it may well be what it says! For whatever reason......at a guess it looks like it was done and re proofed in 2010. By prooftester no 3......The cross pikes unless I am mistaken are private marks indicating this!

"Gunman" will be along soon to clear this up!

7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Dunno what sleeved chamber is, it may well be what it says! For whatever reason......at a guess it looks like it was done and re proofed in 2010. By prooftester no 3......The cross pikes unless I am mistaken are private marks indicating this!

"Gunman" will be along soon to clear this up!

That was pretty much my guess.  I have not seen it before - and despite owing the gun for some time, had never noticed that (it isn't with the main proof marks).  As to why it would have been done, I have no idea as the gun has no corrosion elsewhere and the barrels are still 0.729 - and all the engraving outside on them is crisp unworn (the Boehler Steel designation and serial number) (i.e. they don't look like they have had a hard or neglected life)

Edited by JohnfromUK

It is what it say's . the chambers have been sleeved . That is the have been bored out and had an insert fitted then re cut to the correct internal profile . 

This could be for several reasons , rims too deep , over sized , pitted or had some other damage  .Nigel Teague used to do this . 

The "Sleeved Chamber" Crown and R , and crossed swords with 1&0 /B3 are the proof marking and re proof stamp followed by the proof date , Which in this case is 2010 , B3 will be the inspector .

The gun would not be fully remarked as a re proof and re stamped with current marks as there was no need the original specification unaltered similar to if it had been multi choked .

2 minutes ago, Gunman said:

It is what it say's . the chambers have been sleeved .

Thank you. 

I don't know why it has been done as I think corrosion is unlikely - because there is no evidence of any present or past corrosion on any other part of the gun, either internal or external, and the bores are unmarked and still measure 0.729.  Either deep rims or other issues are certainly possible.  Rims are currently shallow in that it is fine with cartridges, but won't close on my (plated brass rimmed snap caps), though does close on another (aluminium) set I have.

The original German proof mark date code is for 1963, and I believe the gun would probably have been imported through Parker Hale at that time, though I don't know that with certainty.  I assume at the time (cold war era) - the (East) German proof (Suhl) was not recognised officially, hence the London proof, which was presumably done on import.

37 minutes ago, propercartridges said:

without doubt send these photos to birmingham proof house these will help alot and they are very helpful there then they will tell you all the answers        cheers   george

Thanks George,  I think "Gunman" has answered the question above.  I know the gun is "in proof" and by a good margin, but I forgot to ask when I had the measurements and wall thicknesses checked over, what Sleeved Chambers were (in fact I didn't even notice it then).  It is not a mark I have seen before.

Birmingham are good and I have visited many years ago (when the Powell family were involved there).