crow decoys

• 2 months later...

crow deeks will attract all corvids but they are far better used with a tempting meal next to them if you are using a shotgun.if you are using an air rifle make sure they can not fly off with the grub so you get time to place your cross hairs.

plinker

You will never beat the real thing! I was out on Thursday for 3 hours and shot 40 without taking any decoys at all. I just get the flightline into the field and shoot a couple then put them out using bamboo BBQ squewers. As the pattern builds up the birds come in with so much confidence. One trick I use to add some movement to the pattern is to lay a bird flat at 180 degrees to the wind and fan it's tail out. when the wind catches this it looks like a bird bobbing up and down, pecking at something. Half a dozen like this in the pattern and it looks like a feeding frenzie.

Mark.

Ollie,

I just use an oval pattern. They tend to glide in and circle over the top of the Deeks, then I take my shot. They'll hang around circling a lot longer than Woodies so if they come in too high just keep covered and they will drop in height. Once you've got a good spread you don't have to be too neat about positioning dead birds. If they drop in the pattern when you shoot them you can just leave them.

Mark.

Cheers Mark, I have never really used a pattern when I have shot them I have just set them any way as long as they are facing into the wind, but I just wanted to find out what other persons technique was.

heres a simple one. find a sitty tree...a tree where one from the mass group sits and observes the world...like a look out. put a decoy about 25 yrds from the base of the tree into an open field. make a hide in the dirsection that a shadow from the tree is cast..or in a hedge row. get cammed up and blat em off with an air rifle...they dont like it up em.

You could always peg out a slit open rabbit infront of the decoy.

:D got at least 35 dead rooks/crows in my freezer i just put them out at 80 yards and let them land after 10 seconds put a ,17 round in to them dead as a dead thing ,the gun has a moderator so they have no idear their being shot at or from what direction often shoot 80-90 rooks/crows loverly sport :lol: