Lockdown veiwing

Rob85

41 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

OPP,   Crows Hall Farm  by any chance or West Dean Estate.

hello, not west dean as i know that well, where is crow hall farm,  i can tell you where the farm was, as you pass through Lavant about 1/4 of a mile towards Chichester turn right this road  goes towards the back of Chichester , the farm was half way along that road on the right, i remember an old railway line and gravel works, the field where i mentioned backed on to the old line, is the farm still there or houses, ? we lived in St Pauls road,, my grandparents lived in Lavant, i was born in Midhurst, its a long time ago now so memory is a bit fuzzy??? Chichester had the gun shop down south street

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Crows hall is on the Lavant to Chilgrove road, Sounds like you were on West Stoke road, I think Heavers had / have a farm and shoot that way. Housing goes from Chichester right up to Lavant village now. More houses going in Hunters race, Centurion Way and Westhampnet , south of Goodwood is all housing now..

Edited by mpmilo

1 minute ago, mpmilo said:

Crows hall is on the Lavant to Chilgrove road, Sounds like you were on West Stoke road, I think Heavers had / have a farm and shoot that way. Housing goes from Chichester right up to Lavant village now. More houses going in Centurion Way and Westhampnet , south of Goodwood is all housing now..

hello, thats it as Dad grew up in West Stoke, Heavers did the gravel extraction same as Mundham, did my first trout fishing at Peckhams Copse, oh much the same here, anyway good memories, do you know Kingley Vale ?

14 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Chichester had the gun shop down south street

Russell Hilsdons,  used to get my 410 carts there and fishing gear. Im sure they did ther own range of s/s boxlocks

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thats it as Dad grew up in West Stoke, Heavers did the gravel extraction same as Mundham, did my first trout fishing at Peckhams Copse, oh much the same here, anyway good memories, do you know Kingley Vale ?

Yes i know Kingley vale, I live in Fishbourne , born in Chichester. Lived in Selsey for years. 

Just now, mpmilo said:

Russell Hilsdons,  used to get my 410 carts there and fishing gear. Im sure they did ther own range of s/s boxlocks

hello, yes they did and you can still find those guns being sold,  i use to frequent that shop a lot, got my trout gear there to, use to shoot with Chichester wildfowlers and a big farm in Cocking as well as Lavant, and fish Chichester lakes, oh happy days, cheers

7 hours ago, mpmilo said:

Yes i know Kingley vale, I live in Fishbourne , born in Chichester. Lived in Selsey for years. 

hello, ok so you must know the area well like me although i have not made a visit for many years, i think Webley made the guns for Russel Hillsdon ? maybe Gunman on here knows, did a lot of fishing off Selsey,   is the toy shop still down South Street in Chichester, ?my dad and his brother and sisters made a discovery in Kingley Vale around 1925 as far as i know it has never been uncovered 500 acres is a lot of wood,

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, ok so you must know the area well like me although i have not made a visit for many years, i think Webley made the guns for Russel Hillsdon ? maybe Gunman on here knows, did a lot of fishing off Selsey,   is the toy shop still down South Street in Chichester, ?my dad and his brother and sisters made a discovery in Kingley Vale around 1925 as far as i know it has never been uncovered 500 acres is a lot of wood,

The old toy shop has gone, replaced by a newer " toy " shop, Most of the big shops in Chichester have gone, Morants, Army navy, Buttermarket, Woolworths all gone along with most of the pubs, Punchhouse, Fountain, White horse, Kings head all gone plus many others.  Full of eating houses and coffee shops now and mega money to park.

1 hour ago, mpmilo said:

The old toy shop has gone, replaced by a newer " toy " shop, Most of the big shops in Chichester have gone, Morants, Army navy, Buttermarket, Woolworths all gone along with most of the pubs, Punchhouse, Fountain, White horse, Kings head all gone plus many others.  Full of eating houses and coffee shops now and mega money to park.

hello, oh its not then like use to know in my late teens and early 20s, even when i looked after mum in her care home in Chichester it started to change, how long has the new toy shop been going as a relative owned the one called Chichester Toys,

2 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

Thats now called whirlligig toys, been there 2/3 years as far as i know. Shippams is another one that has moved out. The old swimming baths is all housing and restaurants these days.

ok, my sister own the old toy shop, i remember Shippams being bulldozed down and relatives worked there, and my dad work at the pool, us lot got every where:lol:

23 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

ok, my sister own the old toy shop, i remember Shippams being bulldozed down and relatives worked there, and my dad work at the pool, us lot got every where

Sounds like a large family .  😀 Its still a nice area to live if you are north of the A27, Personally we are looking to get somewhere around Midhurst after this Covid has gone away.

24 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

Sounds like a large family .  😀 Its still a nice area to live if you are north of the A27, Personally we are looking to get somewhere around Midhurst after this Covid has gone away.

hello, 4 sisters and me, yes i use to enjoy living there and my mother to, ah Midhurst were happy days but many many years ago, google June Lane, we lived at nine acres before the spread of houses, if you read my previous post on the view from our back garden :good:it was where i found the countryside a great place to be, oh have relatives in Midhurst to, caught my first carp in the old brick pond fishing with my Uncle, just like Mr Crabtree, 😀

12 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, 4 sisters and me, yes i use to enjoy living there and my mother to, ah Midhurst were happy days but many many years ago, google June Lane, we lived at nine acres before the spread of houses, if you read my previous post on the view from our back garden :good:it was where i found the countryside a great place to be, oh have relatives in Midhurst to, caught my first carp in the old brick pond fishing with my Uncle, just like Mr Crabtree, 😀

Hi, Ive probably fished that pond, as i was a member of Rother ac for a few  years and still am a member of chichester district angling club, Although i spent 30 years match fishing all over the country. I knew midhurst from an early age as my mates father was herd manager for Cowdary , used to always be at Kennels parlour  and the parlour opposite golf club milking.  Spent many summers with the polo grooms ( female ) . Happy days

3 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

Hi, Ive probably fished that pond, as i was a member of Rother ac for a few  years and still am a member of chichester district angling club, Although i spent 30 years match fishing all over the country. I knew midhurst from an early age as my mates father was herd manager for Cowdary , used to always be at Kennels parlour  and the parlour opposite golf club milking.  Spent many summers with the polo grooms ( female ) . Happy days

hello, yes fished the pond and Rother many times, my school was opposite the half moon pub, 2 cousins and families still live in Midhurst, i use to shoot on Cowdary land, i see the refurbished the old Castle, use to have picnics there, oh and watch the Painter Adrian Hill, i must get down one day and go to Cocking church, oh Kingley Vale, my dad and siblings found a very large flat stone about 4 times bigger than our grave stones where the rabbits had burrowed, it had i believe Nordik writing carved in, i do not think it has ever been found since

24 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes fished the pond and Rother many times, my school was opposite the half moon pub, 2 cousins and families still live in Midhurst, i use to shoot on Cowdary land, i see the refurbished the old Castle, use to have picnics there, oh and watch the Painter Adrian Hill, i must get down one day and go to Cocking church, oh Kingley Vale, my dad and siblings found a very large flat stone about 4 times bigger than our grave stones where the rabbits had burrowed, it had i believe Nordik writing carved in, i do not think it has ever been found since

Hi, that may be where they hold the weddings at Kingley Vale,  i will have an ask round. Ive not been there for a long time myself. May be a lockdown project as its only 10 min drive.

Edited by mpmilo

47 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

Hi, that may be where they hold the weddings at Kingley Vale,  i will have an ask round. Ive not been there for a long time myself. May be a lockdown project as its only 10 min drive.

hello, they were small chidren then living in the village below Kingley ??,so it may have been that side of the wood, grand dad was a gardener in the big house, i spoke to them all and it was not English writing as they did school by then, i did contact someone who writes about the wood but got no reply, they uncovered half the stone so it must have been flat down, or half buried, i think my Uncle is the only one left and he was living in Chichester, not been that way since mums funeral,

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, they were small chidren then living in the village below Kingley ??,so it may have been that side of the wood, grand dad was a gardener in the big house, i spoke to them all and it was not English writing as they did school by then, i did contact someone who writes about the wood but got no reply, they uncovered half the stone so it must have been flat down, or half buried, i think my Uncle is the only one left and he was living in Chichester, not been that way since mums funeral,

Hi , Found the Tansley stone , but that is upright and no writing. It has a lot of Druid history in the area, so your families find may have been something to do with that. Interesting.

55 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

Hi , Found the Tansley stone , but that is upright and no writing. It has a lot of Druid history in the area, so your families find may have been something to do with that. Interesting.

hello, ok but the stone slab they uncovered did have writing on, i have spoken to my Dad and his brother and 1 sister and they all remember finding this stone slab and could not understand the writing, , the rabbits had burrowed under and a corner was sticking out so they scraped off some earth to find the writing, my guess it was a viking memorial stone, i have seen the Tansley stone,  Kingley Vale also had its dark side of myths and legends., dad use to metal detect up there???, anyway it has always been a  hope one day somebody will find it, have a good weekend and stay safe