FAC question for new Quad barrel

Dirty Harry

I purchased the quad with the .17 barrel. They dont come with all the barrels unless you want them.

Now I want a .22lr but will my fac allow me just to have a berrel or do I have to have th whole rifle as the space is for a .22lr rifle. Will I need to put in a variation?

Harry

You have the slot so just go buy the barrel and magazine. :good: The supplier will just add it to your certificate, you might even find a second hand one.

I don't have my cert in front of me but the permission to acquire goes something like: ... The .22 Sako Quad rifle, the .22 sound moderator, The 17hmr barrel, the 17hmr sound moderator, the .22 air rifle, the .22 air rifle sound moderator...

I'm glad I went that route. I could then spend more on the scope that covers both "rifles" and even take both of them shooting with me. If I leave the calibre that I dont use in my car and it gets nicked then I have not left a useable weapon in it.

If you have put your scope on mounts high enough that leave enough room to lift the front end of the barrel about an inch then all you will need to do with your elevation turret is take away 32ish clicks depending on the variables of barrel length, scope height ,zero's etc. Modern sidewheel scopes are only about 13" long and suit the Quad very well.

I don't punch paper apart from setting up and occasionally re-checking. My 15" HMR zero is 100 yards, making the secondary zero at about 52 yards. Adding 32 clicks puts the .22 at that same zero on my target board in field hunting tolerances. The barrel swaps are repeatable within this tolerance.

Sorry but i cannot see how you have got a quad limited to 17 unless you purchased it as a 17 as they must come with all three barrels

Erm - Do keep up - it's called a Quad 'cos it has FOUR barrel options :good:

Options being the operative word. In the UK the "duo" of LR and HMR seem to be the norm.

I notified them of my intent to purchase a Quad with those barrels - so they worded it accordingly as a variation when I still had my Semi-auto.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a .22 barrel and mag today. Second hand but literally brand new for £125.

I also got a spare .22 10 round mag for rapid fire bunny bashing.

Dave, reading your post about zeroing am I right in thinking that your HMR zero at 100yards without adjusting your scope zeros at 52 yards with the .22?

If so that would be handy as I was wanting to zero the .22 at 50-75 yards for night time bunnies and that might save any adjustments (unless I have been a bit thick and not undersood what you said).

Cherrs

Harry

Bear in mind my HMR barrel has been chopped to 15" - giving a slightly lower MV than a longer barrel. Also note that my scope is set higher than normal for either of the calibre's to allow for barrel swaps without re-moving the scope.

Also note I am slightly dyslexic and sometimes go round the houses a bit. And some readers may not know that a scope sees the rising and falling projectile. :good:

My primary HMR (falling) zero is 100 yards - which makes my secondary (rising) zero about 52 yards. I then adjust my turrets to get the .22lr falling projectile to hit the same target board as the rising HMR by winding the elevation turret up to number 8 (32clicks) Thus I have two target boards - or keep moving one of them. It has also been simplified by using a scope with re-setable "0" turrets.

When I go hunting the HMR is used with the elevation turret on "0"

The turret is then simply raised to number "8" for the .22.

The photo will show a typical HMR 100 zero graph at the faster MV of 2550 FPS and a lower scope, use it as a rough guide only. Likewise the .22 scope is higher - and my barrel is unusual at 14"