Partridge

Walker570

My wife was at a loss as to what to prepare for a meal last week and I suggested he got some partridge crowns out of the freezer and I would fry them.

Photos give an idea of the very simple way to cook partridge breast and pheasant duck, pigeon.

Take the breast meat off and slice lengthways into 1/4 inch strips, put a large knob of butter in the skillet and whatever seasoning you enjoy, crushed garlic. I use the Tony Chattery's Cajun mix.

Bring this to a sizzling hot state and tip in the meat. Stir it about for a bit to allow the meat to seal on all sides, then let it cook until just starting to caramalise and brown. Probably need to flip it all over a couple of times.

Prepare whatever vegetables you prefer, scoop the breast meat out onto a kitchen towel to drain then onto the plate and devour.

The joy of this method  is that IF any are left over they are delicious cold the following day.  I have even used them as picks with drinks when friends come in for a meal. Rarely any left over.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

Sadly our Partridges were used up ages ago .

Do you find any deterioration in taste after several months ? , it might just be me but I don't fancy eating game in the middle of the Summer , nothing wrong with it but to me it is one of the treats when in the season .

We have a fairly big supply in the freezer, Catton where I shoot three or four times a season now does the game ready prepared in nice packs and I have the ones they give us on the day and buy 20 other packs....£3 a pack for four birds ... cheap meals.  I find no difference in flavour and we normally run out by the end of September as new supplies start to arrive.  Same with venison, try to keep a few haunches and back straps in stock throughout the year.  I can't prove anyhting but I believe freezing does tenderise meat.

I do vac pack them all as well as leaving them in the paks they come in and use the thick vac bags which prevents freezer burn.

We enjoy all meats all year round.