Hey, what types of hunting can you get into?

tom.hunter

Hey,

Im from the northumberland area, and looking to get into some hunting.

Im not too clued up on the different types of hunting you can do ( im taking small game like rabbits/pigeons/

etc etc.

Which are cheap? :lol:

If you can't get permission for land etc, where can you pay and what can you hunt?

Can a shotgun certificat be obtained without permentant land to shoot on?

Also would it be easier to get pigeon shooting permission in urban places, than on farmers land,

Im guessing less people like to do it?

Any information/help/advice much appreciated

Thanks

The site sponsors will arrange for guided days pigeon shooting (yes yes crawl crawl), if you are interested have a look here

As for urban pest control, well that's handled by professional pest controllers and wouldn't be something you could pay to do (why would you want to?)

To obtain an SGC you don't need to have any land over which to shoot, and I would imagine most holders don't other than clay shooting grounds.

Hey,

Kk thanks alot

I wouldn't pay for the urban shooting, just offer it free.

So what do people do who want to get involved but don't have any mates who shoot.

Try a clay pigeon club?

Then pay to shoot, is that the normal route.

I'd imagine its harder to get permission for a 22 rifle than a shotgun.

Cheers Guys

You don't need permission to shoot anywhere to obtain your SGC, as long as you're of sound mind, and meet with your police forces requirement on conviction then you will get one.

There's been lots of discussion about paid pigeon shooting on here, and I'm sure they'll be much more. But save yourself the money, and go knocking on some doors. It may take you a few days, or a few months but I'm sure they'll be a farmer/landowner/golf course manager etc etc out there who would more than gladly take you up on an offer to shoot those pesky pigeons, crows, rabbits etc on their land. You could also offer to help out on a local shoot, odd jobs, beating, I'm sure you'll be rewarded with a few days shooting there. Keep your ears open and get the word out that you shoot, you never know, Mrs Smith down the street may have a cousin who has a friend who owns some land.

Put your location on your profile, thery're a friendly bunch on here, and I'm sure if you're local to someone you'll get an offer to tag along and learn the ropes. That's how I did it.

Beating is done at a driven game shoot, you'd probably say this is the polar opposite of pigeon/rabbit/crop protection, here people pay (sometimes very large amounts) to be part of the syndicate. As well as paying you'll probably be vetted by the shoot captain, if one was to think of classic English shooting, with men in tweed standing in a line of guns, then this is it. You'll also find many small friendly syndicates about where everyone chips in a little bit, does some work, and gets to stand a drive, then beats a drive, then stands a drive.

If you're interested you could look at http://www.nobs.org.uk/ or pop a post on here or have a look in some of the shooting magazines.

Do you have a gundog? You could also do some picking up.

I think the one thing I've got out of this site is that the more you put in, the more you'll get out. Shooting oppertunities rarely sneak up behind you and bite you on the ****. But if you put some graft in you'll be pleasently suprised.

i think this new mwmber is either an Anti or press

I thought this would come up. If he is then what difference does it make? Are we in the habit of giving out illegal advice? No of course not. If a new guy asks questions then we should point him in the right direction. That advice will be given in the proper way that adheres to the sports rules and laws.

Just my 2p.

Joined March 2006, minimal posts, the first being http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...=15887&st=0

Anyone who has spent anytime reading anything on line (be it this forum or even the airgun BBS) and who has been a member for over a year would not be asking these questions and might have found a way to fill out a profile.

I have decided now that if someone can't be bothered to fill out their profile then I cannot be bothered to converse at all.

Joined March 2006, minimal posts, the first being http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...=15887&st=0

Anyone who has spent anytime reading anything on line (be it this forum or even the airgun BBS) and who has been a member for over a year would not be asking these questions and might have found a way to fill out a profile.

I have decided now that if someone can't be bothered to fill out their profile then I cannot be bothered to converse at all.

Geez I do have other things in my life you know.

Geez I do have other things in my life you know.

Pffff. No time to fill out your profile despite a couple of polite requests?

An example if you will:

"Geez I do have other things in my life you know" contains 37 characters.

The word "sorry" followed by "**/**/**" (date of birth) and "Northumberland" (location) and "cars & guns" (interests) contains just 34 characters. Just think you could add "being stroppy" into interests and still only work up a total of 46 characters.

If however you are refering to the fact that you have better things to do than carry out any basic research off your own back then you really can just pucker up and kiss my fat botty.

Hey,

Ok that sounded short but the reason was Im browsing this on my phone and loading each page takes like 2 minutes...I thought I'd do the profile when

I get home.

Other things going on- I was refering to currently being away from home, in scotland with my auntie in hospital...hence the phone browsing.

I appreciate the help I was getting and looked thoroughly at all the resources.

Thanks

Tom

Hey,

Ah kk, so why do you get more with a shotty then?

Are you going to decoy with your shotty?

When people hunt with air rifles, is the generally accepted way to wait in bushes watching a field or watching tree's.

When I used to hunt with my Cometa 300, We just used to walk around looking for pigeons in the trees.

Cheers

Tom