Recoil Pad for Browning Pro-Sport.

Westley

20 minutes ago, BlaserF3 said:

The thinner one is 20mm, but I don't have a spare one.

Thanks for that, I am trying to get the stock to 14 1/2" without major surgery. I currently have a 525 12mm pad on but it is just a bit short at the toe. Lengthwise the pull is ok, but the toe is just a bit vulnerable to getting a knock. I will probably go with an Isis pad eventually. 

I phoned Chris Potter's today and they seem to think that Browning do a 12mm pad for the ProSport. I have ordered one. If it does not fit then I will revert back to the 12mm 'Inflex' pad that I have, fitted with a 2mm plastic spacer behind it,  to protect the stock toe. 

• 1 year later...
On 26/09/2020 at 20:06, Westley said:

I phoned Chris Potter's today and they seem to think that Browning do a 12mm pad for the ProSport. I have ordered one. If it does not fit then I will revert back to the 12mm 'Inflex' pad that I have, fitted with a 2mm plastic spacer behind it,  to protect the stock toe. 

@Westley

Did the 12mm pad arrive and did it fit? I would be interested in purchasing one if so.

Many thanks.

10 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

@Westley

Did the 12mm pad arrive and did it fit? I would be interested in purchasing one if so.

Many thanks.

No, I got a phone call from them telling me they had made a mistake and Browning did NOT make a 12mm pad to fit the Prosport. The pads for the Prosport are an 'individual fit' and have the guns serial number painted on the back. I did however get a 12mm pad second hand from Malmo Guns. It it fractionally smaller than the Prosport, but I made a thin plastic spacer to protect the overhanging woodwork. I have since fitted a Kick-eeze pad in 15mm that I was given. It's fit is better but has only been on for 2 weeks.  It has altered the pitch and is more comfortable to shoot.

36 minutes ago, Westley said:

No, I got a phone call from them telling me they had made a mistake and Browning did NOT make a 12mm pad to fit the Prosport. The pads for the Prosport are an 'individual fit' and have the guns serial number painted on the back. I did however get a 12mm pad second hand from Malmo Guns. It it fractionally smaller than the Prosport, but I made a thin plastic spacer to protect the overhanging woodwork. I have since fitted a Kick-eeze pad in 15mm that I was given. It's fit is better but has only been on for 2 weeks.  It has altered the pitch and is more comfortable to shoot.

Thanks for replying.

That is a shame, the existing pad is quite prone to snagging up on clothing.

Beretta have got it right with their micro core pads.

I'll probably go down the route of having a thinner grind to fit pad installed.

Edited by Poor Shot

7 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Thanks for replying.

That is a shame, the existing pad is quite prone to snagging up on clothing.

Beretta have got it right with their micro core pads.

I'll probably go down the route of having a thinner grind to fit pad installed.

Remove your existing pad and then go to your local gunshop and ask if they have a Beretta pad you can try for size. I found the Browning ProSport pads very sticky. I am trying the Kick-eeze pad for a while, but will probably end up with the Isis. On a cheaper gun with a lesser figured wood, I would probably remove 15mm myself, but I think it will end up at a Gunsmith. 

1 minute ago, Westley said:

Remove your existing pad and then go to your local gunshop and ask if they have a Beretta pad you can try for size. I found the Browning ProSport pads very sticky. I am trying the Kick-eeze pad for a while, but will probably end up with the Isis. On a cheaper gun with a lesser figured wood, I would probably remove 15mm myself, but I think it will end up at a Gunsmith. 

I am going up to Malmo guns soon, I shall ask to try the Beretta pad for fit on the Prosport.  Problem is the thickness of their thinnest pad  ?

On 01/08/2022 at 16:20, Westley said:

I am going up to Malmo guns soon, I shall ask to try the Beretta pad for fit on the Prosport.  Problem is the thickness of their thinnest pad  ?

I've got a 12mm (or 10mm) microcore pad here. I held it back to back with the spare prosport pad and they aren't a million miles away from each other, perhaps a slight too wide at the bottom of the pad but won't look out of place.

The screw holes are about 5mm out of line for top and bottom which would require new holes In the prosport stock.

I would work on fitting the Beretta pad then. At least if you decide to sell the gun, you can put it back to original. I never really worry about the look of the back end of the gun, I only see it when taking the gun out of the slip. As long as the results out front are what I want, I can live with the rest. I have not really had a chance to shoot mine with the Kick-eeze fitted, but dry mounting, the gun it is not snagging my clothing and sits better in my shoulder due to the pad shape. It is probably better for the pad to be slightly oversized rather than undersized, at least that protects the woodwork. 

Edited by Westley