Winchester super x problems

I have just got a .22lr barrel for my Quad and got 500 Winchester super x to put through it.

I have noticed that if I chamber a round and dont fire it it wont eject when the bolt is pulled back. This is not so much of a problem if I can just shoot it off but about 1 in 4 empties are also sticking in the chamber and eject. I have to get a knife and tease them out.

Next time I will try another brand of ammo but has anyone else had this problem?

Harry

I have just got a .22lr barrel for my Quad and got 500 Winchester super x to put through it.

I have noticed that if I chamber a round and dont fire it it wont eject when the bolt is pulled back. This is not so much of a problem if I can just shoot it off but about 1 in 4 empties are also sticking in the chamber and eject. I have to get a knife and tease them out.

Next time I will try another brand of ammo but has anyone else had this problem?

Harry

This is actually a rifle problem rather than an ammunition one. It usually is rectified by having the chamer of you gun polished by your gunsmith.

I never found out the cause of this only that after doing this all problems went away. Two or three other people have had the same problem and have ended up have the same solution.

Regards starlight32

i have the same problem with winchesters mate,they wont eject out of my cz.its the sticky coating they put on the round case,get cci s mate,never had one stick out of thousands of rounds,winchesters are total ****e.

How strange, I couldn't disagree more.

IMHO CCI's are utterly useless, Winchesters and Eley's are they way to go.

The non-ejecting issue with CZ's is well documented, and is more to do with how clean the bolt is, than the ammo, even though it may show up worse with Winnies.

Undo the two hex screws that hold the barrel and make sure that the breech is pushed right back onto the bolt face. Could be that you have an excess of headspace.

If this doesn’t work then have a look at the extractor hook and see if it needs smoothing off.

G.M.

Mmm, just re-read it and you may have a problem if you have been dry firing the rifle.

Sometimes the firing pin is too long and “peens†the top of the chamber, causing a slight swelling of the lip over time. This holds the case in place. It needs to be dressed of with a chamber reamer, or if it isn’t too bad you may remove it with a very fine riffler file. Just don’t go at it like a bull at a gate.

I had this problem after leaving too much oil in the barrel after a clean. I have to disagree with the opinion that winnies are greasy because they seem to be about the least greasy round I have ever used. Winnies also seem to hit harder than some other.

Eley in particular are a very greasy round, more accurate for head shots though.... but be advised they hit softer and if you're a boiler room shooter you'll get a few runners.

My CZ Varmint .22 wouldn't extract unfired rounds, from new. Edgar Bros advised that there might be a burr in the chamber throat, and said to use some fine emery to polish it out. I put up with it for a long while and either fired the rounds at the end of the day, or didn't close the bolt right down if I thought I might be finishing the day.

I subsequently took a magnifying glass to the end of the bolt and noticed a small burr right between the extractor claws where the striker emerges. I took a very small file to it and it has cleared up the problem, and they now extract OK. Fired rounds always extracted.

When it first happened I was using Eley subs, but tried CCI and Winchesters in the gunshop, with no result.