Massive Food Table

pigeon controller

Following the return from my holiday I received a request for thirty fresh pigeons. So out I went looking I was amazed by the lack of birds on the stubbles and directed drilled fields. The only birds I could find were under Oak trees , on inspection they were loaded with acorns and the recent strong winds had made a few drop. The feeding spell for acorns is approx ten minutes and seeing them on the field edges is a minute proportion of the the Oak tree population. I eventually found a field with a good number all round a thirty acre field under trees, so I set up between two trees with the wind off my back. I had no decoys but within two minutes the first bird past within range and became my first decoy. This shot sent approx fifty birds into the air from around the field. I shot from 14.00 to 18.00 and ended up with six birds as nothing returned. As the title states the amount of natural food available will keep them off the crops for a good time. I have mentioned in the past that my main shooting grounds are in the ancient “ Forest of Arden” which is predominantly Oak trees, this has a double effect it feeds the birds and keeps them off the crops and also the woods feed migrating birds from the cold north and holds them in the area.

Walking around our fields during the last week I have found the exactly the same when it come to this years Acorn harvest , the trees are full and so is the ground underneath with medium size acorns , having said that the Pigeons I found were now on the late Wheat stubble but with yesterdays heavy rain and again today the tractors will out in force and start ripping them up , this will keep the Pigeons around the woods and as soon as they get the taste for fresh Acorns it might be it as far as stubble shooting go , down South it might have already finished ( grain stubble ) where up North they would be a bit later than around our way , the long very hot Summer is now just a memory with it being 8 degrees in my motor this morning and cold enough for a jumper and a coat , mind you , we are like wimps when it start getting cold :lol: