Taking a rifle to Ireland?

gavaroo

Hi all,

I'm planning to go on a fishing holiday to the south of ireland next month and was considering getting some permission to shoot whilst I'm there and taking a rifle over with me.

Just wondering what the laws are in terms on taking a rim-fire across to Ireland for this kind of thing (will be driving and then taking the ferry). If it's going to be a big head ache then I'd probably rather not bother.

Cheers, Gav :unsure:

Incedently if you are planning to take Firearms to Northern Island at any point then the correct form is this one:

http://www.colebrookepark.com/Form%2030-15.pdf

There is no charge if you hold a UK SGC/FAC . Regardless of whether it is Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland; you need to apply at least 2 months before the date of embarkation.

I believe it is a requirement in NI that the guns are stored dis-assembled in a locked case preferably attached to the car in some way. Certainly always out of sight as well. Firearms should at no point be left in a empty vehicle; you are responsible for their safe custody at all times. You need to think about where they are going to be securely stored when you get there.

Best thing to do for a definitiave answer is to speak to the BASC firearms dept. They will know 100% what the answer is wheras I don't.

mr_colt.

Regardless of whether it is Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland; you need to apply at least 2 months before the date of embarkation.

Oh well, the trip is next month so I guess the rifle in out of the equation. Perhaps I'll just take a ferret instead :rolleyes:

Cheers, Gav.