Order of puppy training

Evolve82

Evening all, 

I have a pretty good gundog that is 9 years old.  She is a lovely lab and have learned as much from her as she has from me over the years! I know she has her problems (due to my training skills mostly) but want to try and avoid them when I start over this time.  

Now to the point of the post...  I am getting an 8 week old yellow lab boy in a few weeks time.  He will be used for picking up on driven days like my current dog.  My questions really is does anyone know of a complete guide that covers the order of training and commands please?

It would really take the stress out of remember what to do next if I know everything will be covered in its own time! 

TIA

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

will the dog be coming into a family ?

yes. he will. 

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I don’t know of one but think I may have seen something advertised on another site gunndog training tips. Yes it is spelt double n.

Personnally, I play it by ear with each dog taking it very slowly and it’s all basics until they are about a year old.

Thanks, will have a look. I have played it by ear with the last one but wanted to try and keep as much 'out of my limited headspace' as possible! 

i have trained many dogs over the years ..I AM NOT A DOG TRAINER AND AS LONG AS I HAVE A HOLE IN MY BOTTOM I WILL NEVER BE ONE.....you will train your dog your own way...and i think the way you will do it ....is to take tips from many books and sorces.....

There is some bits of advice i will give  (you proberly know this already)..............

1. this is your dog
  2. it is a tool
  3. if it lives with the family they MUST OBEY THE SAME RULES AS YOU DO....
  4. no tug-0-war
  5. EVERYONE must use the same commands as you
  6. let the dog be a puppy...GENTLE PLAY ONLY
  7. when the dog gets to an age for training ..keep the training periods short
  8. always finish on a high note...even if it means your training session is cut short
  9. when it is feeding time begin it with your chosen recall whistle......everytime...whoever feeds the dog
  10. use hand signals right from the word go....(works well if your dog goes deaf early)

and finally have fun :good:

and finally......i taught my best dog to work to hand signals...by first training my grandaughter to the whistle in the garden....she loved it...and my dog watched by my side and copied her...:lol:

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have trained many dogs over the years ..I AM NOT A DOG TRAINER AND AS LONG AS I HAVE A HOLE IN MY BOTTOM I WILL NEVER BE ONE.....you will train your dog your own way...and i think the way you will do it ....is to take tips from many books and sorces.....

There is some bits of advice i will give  (you proberly know this already)..............

1. this is your dog
  2. it is a tool
  3. if it lives with the family they MUST OBEY THE SAME RULES AS YOU DO....
  4. no tug-0-war
  5. EVERYONE must use the same commands as you
  6. let the dog be a puppy...GENTLE PLAY ONLY
  7. when the dog gets to an age for training ..keep the training periods short
  8. always finish on a high note...even if it means your training session is cut short
  9. when it is feeding time begin it with your chosen recall whistle......everytime...whoever feeds the dog
  10. use hand signals right from the word go....(works well if your dog goes deaf early)

and finally have fun :good:

and finally......i taught my best dog to work to hand signals...by first training my grandaughter to the whistle in the garden....she loved it...and my dog watched by my side and copied her...:lol:

Great, thanks. Like you by the sounds of it been there and all great advice. My kids are a bit old for that now, but remember those days well training the kids on a whilstle in the garden! lol 

18 minutes ago, Evolve82 said:

Great, thanks. Like you by the sounds of it been there and all great advice. My kids are a bit old for that now, but remember those days well training the kids on a whilstle in the garden! lol 

then use the wife.....she will enjoy...and it will come in handy when she gets deaf..:lol: