how to hunt rabbits at night,please help never done it

dolly_daydream

hi everyone,im going out with my dad 2nite hunting rabbits,1 problem we have never been at night,my dad only ever goes in the day shooting woody's :good::mad: so we thought we would try something different, we have the guns,lol, the lamp,and a place were there are quite a few rabbits,so what next?

do we enter in the field with the lamp on or off? :no: do we stalk or hide and wait??

all help appreciated

hi everyone,im going out with my dad 2nite hunting rabbits,1 problem we have never been at night,my dad only ever goes in the day shooting woody's :good::mad: so we thought we would try something different, we have the guns,lol, the lamp,and a place were there are quite a few rabbits,so what next?

do we enter in the field with the lamp on or off? :no: do we stalk or hide and wait??

all help appreciated

Dont turn the lamp on untill your in the field and then flick it on and off at different spots while you walk around the field looking for them and then get close enough for a good clean shot

Good luck and good hunting :no:

It pays to know the ground over which you're going to lamp. Like where there are likely to be rabbits, i.e. warrens,rabbit holes, scrapings etc.

I've always prefered walking from one likely area to the next, it all depends on how much land you've got permission.

Be as quiet as possible on your approach to an area. The lamp only goes on at the last moment ,scan the area, keeping as quiet as possible, and turn it off as soon as job done.

What gun will you be using ?

You will learn more each time you go.

what i do is rekie the ground you are shooting at night (so you know where the rabbits are and where and where not to shoot) and of course get permission...anyways i usally crawl up to the best shooting position and put the lamp on a small dim beam (this shows up there eyes like small lights) if any is out load up and get ready, and start at the rabbits ears and get brighter when you go down the rabbit (so it doesnt get spooked and run) if it runs put the lamp on full beam and point it left to right of the running rabbit it usally will stop it and allow a shot, but i use a deben tracer with a dimmer but if you dont have a dimmer then most of everything i said you can do and what gun do you have? and happy hunting :good:

GM

When you enter the field you want to quickly scan the field to see where the rabbits are and how many of em.

when you have spotted the closest ones then turn the lamp off and slowly and quietly walk towards the rabbits until you think you should be in range then have another quick scan of the area to make sure the rabbits are still there then turn the lamp off untill ur close enough then when ur ready for the shot turn the lamp on and shoot the rabbits. thats works well for me lol :good:

And if your shooting from a vehical then the same thing applies.

good luck and let us know how you get on

charlie

When you enter the field you want to quickly scan the field to see where the rabbits are and how many of em.

when you have spotted the closest ones then turn the lamp off and slowly and quietly walk towards the rabbits until you think you should be in range then have another quick scan of the area to make sure the rabbits are still there then turn the lamp off untill ur close enough then when ur ready for the shot turn the lamp on and shoot the rabbits. thats works well for me lol :good:

And if your shooting from a vehical then the same thing applies.

good luck and let us know how you get on

charlie

As above, and go when its windy and overcast. Plan your route around wind direction, walking into wind. It will be disappointing on a moonlit still night as the rabbits, being closer to the ground, will see and hear you approaching.

Just go out and enjoy yourself!!!

If you bag a few bunnies in the process well thats just dandy :good:

I used to prefer doing the recon durin the day and find the warrens and then sit in ambush in the dark using a cheap NV momocular before using nothing more flash than a surefire tactical torch copy which is more than enough to illuminate out to 40 yards on a dark night!

Just have fun and the field craft will come to you in time!!!!!

LG