starting a clay shoot

viking

can anyone tell me how i would go about setting up my own clay pigeon shoot as there is none round where i live and i think i could do well out of it, what expences would be involved afart from the obvious clay carts and traps, any thoughts welcome,

thanks, Lee,

ps. what a great site this is, i just cant tear myself away, keep up the good work guys. :good:

I believe the minimum requirement is approx 40 acres, this allows for fallout of shot, but regarding noise if you plan to shoot more than 28 days you will need planning permission and an ok from the police. Best thing to do is to approach CPSA (God I hate that acronym) for advice if your serious.

Lot of initial outlay for little return until word gets out though.

SS

PS fill in your profile. :good:

I believe the minimum requirement is approx 40 acres, this allows for fallout of shot, but regarding noise if you plan to shoot more than 28 days you will need planning permission and an ok from the police. Best thing to do is to approach CPSA (God I hate that acronym) for advice if your serious.

SS

40 acre = 161874.256 m²

Your looking @ around 4 not 40 wow thats on fallout lol you must have at least a 300-yard fall out zone around 4 acres is the min the best way to start up is under the 28day rule and see if theres much opposition this is where you can hold 28days shooting per year without planning permission !!!

theres many sound issues and generally if your nr to houses forget about it unless there ok with the bangs ,much info can be found by google search inc many current and past planning applications , As a rule of thumb to set anything 1/2 decent will require around 50k traps club house containers etc etc

best thing is to find a pice of land with a farm building on it and get a lease or rent with option to buy .....

farm land can be leased cheap ,, you must maintain the land tho

4 Acres is nowhere near big enough to contain the fallout from the shot, You need a minimum of 300 yds in any arc of fire and as a acre is only aprox 60 yds square you would 10 acres by 10 acres if you shot from the centre.

Most of the shoots I go to do not have this as their own land but are surrounded by fields and the landowners do not mind us shooting there.

SS

40 acre = 161874.256 m²

Your looking @ around 4 not 40 wow thats on fallout lol you must have at least a 300-yard fall out zone around 4 acres is the min the best way to start up is under the 28day rule and see if theres much opposition this is where you can hold 28days shooting per year without planning permission !!!

theres many sound issues and generally if your nr to houses forget about it unless there ok with the bangs ,much info can be found by google search inc many current and past planning applications , As a rule of thumb to set anything 1/2 decent will require around 50k traps club house containers etc etc

best thing is to find a pice of land with a farm building on it and get a lease or rent with option to buy .....

farm land can be leased cheap ,, you must maintain the land tho

I think you find that to have safe fallout arcs from all stands where by you are stood inside a circle shooting outside on say 10 stands you will need approx 40 acres. Trust me I have done my homework on this when considering it myself on land near me. :lol:

SS

• 1 month later...

I,m in the middle of reviving a a clay shoot that has not been used for a while, although this will be a military clay club i think the laws are the same for civvi and military, first thing you will need if you are going to run the shoots yourself is your range safety officers course,next a risk assesment of the shoot if this is going to be open to the public, you will need 275mtrs in all directions that shooting will take place, these are for a military club so they might be slightly different, there are different rulings like we can only use 28g carts and shot no bigger than no6.

Andy