Walking stick stand

Shambam1962

After a recent refurbishment of my newly acquired bandsaw, I decided to make a circle cutting jig for future projects, and watched a few YouTube videos of how to make one.

After making the jig, which is very easy, I can cut circles up to 24” in diameter and proceeded with my stick stand for my increasing number of walking sticks.

I looked online at a few stick stands for ideas and opted for a 13” diameter stand to hold 12 sticks.

I had a piece of laminated pine board in the shed from a previous job and found 2 leftover pine twisted stair spindles in the shed, which I could use for the stand.

The only thing I had to buy was 4 bun style feet, and only ended using 3 on the base.

The stand was stained with leftover Sadolin Mahogany stain from painting my hardwood windows.

The only cost was £10 for the feet, and was pleased with the result.

After making the stand I completed another 2 sticks, so a Mk2 version will be needed in time, but this will be a lot easier as I made a hardboard template with the holes marked out, which was the only time consuming part, as the hole spacing had to be equal.

Its just nice not to have the sticks piled up against each other in the corner of the passage and displayed safely on the stand.

IMG_1439.jpeg

IMG_1446.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

IMG_1447.jpeg

IMG_1449.jpeg

IMG_1452.jpeg

That looks really great and shows off the variety of your lovely sticks a treat.

That`s inspired me to have a go at more adventurous sticks other than my normal antler fork ones.

I particularly like the `Boo style` angled collars and the nose out crooks.

Many thanks for posting.

OB

Thanks Old Boggy, I’m glad it’s inspired you to have a go at different sticks, and the Boo joint isn’t really difficult to do, but it took me a while before building up the courage to have a go.

I’ve been on this forum for a few years, before I posted any comments, let alone posting a photo of a stick I made.

I was inspired to have a go after seeing the quality work of boo, Gamekeeper1960, holloway and Stimo and other PW members and always received help when requested.

I think to date, I’ve done 3 sticks with the scarf joint and I was very pleased with the laminate scarf joint stick I did a few months back.

Can’t wait to see your future work.

IMG_3255.jpeg

28 minutes ago, wisdom said:

I've got some seasoning hazel.Im going to have a go this winter.Ill try the antler ones first.providing I can get some antler.

I know the feeling, but Shambam1962 has inspired me to try something different to my normal antler forks.

I used to use Highland Horn for antler and they were very good, but sadly no longer in business.

Keith Pickering (The Stickman) currently hasn`t got any grade `A` antler forks in stock.

You could try Christian Sutton on here. He often has various antler bits.

Good luck.

OB