Going beating 1st time

Bryn

You should only take him if he is under complete control, but also let him know what it is all about.

Let him off the lead near the end of a couple of drives in the morning and see how he gets on. Then if he is OK let him hunt for the complete last drive.

I found that beating with a dog helps their training as they realise what it is all about. Merlin has beat on a couple of shoots this year and flushed several pheasants and will now hunt on short grass as well as cover, as he thinks they may be a prize waiting for him.

what have you done with the dog so far?

If he isn't used to game you may blow his mind excitement wise. Definitely keep him on the lead till you know how he is, letting him off depends how good he is at re-call and how many birds are about bear in mind the end of drives on some shoots at this time of year will be alive with birds.

what have you done with the dog so far?

If he isn't used to game you may blow his mind excitement wise. Definitely keep him on the lead till you know how he is, letting him off depends how good he is at re-call and how many birds are about bear in mind the end of drives on some shoots at this time of year will be alive with birds.

I have been going to the shoot of an evening dogging in around the boundaries, he seems staedy and stops on the whistle, when the bird flushes.

He is also good on the recall.

He has not been out working in the presence of other dogs so i shall take it easy.

Thanks for the advice.

In that case sounds like the groundwork has been largely done. I'd take him for a walk first and let him run off some energy then see the first few drives on the lead. Its often better to let them off at the start of drives then put back on the lead when you get closer to the action as the closer you get to the end of the drive the more birds there are and he will also be able to see birds fall which may encite him to not stop!

My advice would be don't rush the dog, let him feel his way.

Hopefully, you will be asked along again, that may be the time to experiment.

Nothing ruins a Shoot more than a rioting dog and also ensures the owner never gets invited again.

Whereas, a good beater with well behaved dog is worth a wagon load of gold. :stupid:

• 3 weeks later...

Well the big day came last Friday, I was a bit nervous, but need not be as all the beaters i met were friendly and most helpful.

I kept the dof on a longish lead and woeked him close, no problem with the other dogs, didn't really seem bothered.

After the last drive I was discussing with another beater retreiving with fresh game, he had a partridge which he threw and my dog when sent went to it and picked it and returned straight to hand, i was well pleased.

On the way back to our vehicles I was asked by the game keeper if I woud be coming back?, Deffinatelty.

I would like to thank all those on here for the advice given, much appreciated :lol: