Parcel Farce

steve_b_wales

20 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Parcelforce are still the only people I'd trust with certain items, after bad experiences with myherpes  et al (300 quid chainsaw going missing, presumed stolen, among other disasters). DPD, UPS or Fedx otherwise

I spend £10000+ a year on sending engineering instruments through the post most are worth £1000+, always use Royal Mail Special delivery, you get £750 of automatic insurance, you can up that for a small fee, the parcel is signed for at each stage. have tried all the others, none are as reliable or cost effective with the insurance included.

One engineer tried to post me £2500 worth of equipment by parcel force for next day delivery, they found it a week later and delivered it to me.

I used to get quite a few bits and bobs sent from abroad but less so now. However the Parcelforce system is still archaic in that items go to customs for assessment, from their to the central sorting hub, from there to the delivery depot who then generate a letter which is sent via Royal Mail to my address. Once this letter eventually arrives care of Tim or village post I can use the enclosed reference number to pay the customs charges online. Once paid I can select a delivery date for the item to be delivered. The fact that our letter post is a bit hit and miss at the best of times [when Tim is on holiday or sick the temp staff very often miss outlying addresses] means that while the item may have safely landed on these shores it is immediately held up by the out of date customs / Parcelforce system.

He says currently waiting for some bits from Holland currently held up in the delivery depot while they write a good old fashioned letter letting me know how much extortion money I have to part with [+ handling fees] before I get my items.