Loving the women's football

30-6

As I understand it the current squad are not just on the same level as the one that won the Euro's last year. Ellen White retired and others are out with injury. 

Someone mentioned Kirby and Mead - both names I recall from last year being a big part of the set up. 

However if they got through to a WC final with a slightly sub par team, it bodes well for the future. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shadowchaser said:

As I understand it the current squad are not just on the same level as the one that won the Euro's last year. Ellen White retired and others are out with injury. 

Someone mentioned Kirby and Mead - both names I recall from last year being a big part of the set up. 

However if they got through to a WC final with a slightly sub par team, it bodes well for the future. 

Yeah that's about the size of it. Mead and Williamson are both out with ACL injuries. Kirby's had a terrible season with fitness problems and Ellen White's retired. Defensively we've coped without Williamson, but the other three have proved irreplaceable. Australian striker Sam Kerr's testament to how critical Kirby is as a creator at Chelsea. With Kirby fit, Kerr was banging in 20 league goals a season. Last season, without Kirby for much of it, she scored 10.

For all James' excitement, she doesn't unlock defences like Kirby or score a volume of goals like Mead. Hemp's a quality player and so is Russo, but neither of them are raw poachers with a striker's instinct for sussing out a half chance like White was. 

But we got to the World Cup final, so...the kids are alright!