distances

peter mcn

I tend to stick to around 35-40 yards.

I also stick with round heads, as pointed pellets arn't accurate over a longer distance in my air rifle-i think thats quite common for most rifles. With rabbits try and stick with head shots but one in the heart/lungs will do the trick with a 12ft/lbs. Also i've found hitting rats virtually anywhere in the torso drops them straight away, and using hollow tips is pretty effective :unsure:

depends on your experiance mate i only take shots over 40 yards on a still day either kneeling or prone :good:

like blackthorn said put some time in on the ranges so your confident and learn to recognise your ranges and so your confident taking the shot, nothing worse than not thinking your gonna hit the target

:good:

i practice alot prob shoot bout 25 yrds n i can b quite accurate about 10 pellets i can get in a group of bout 1 inch but thats with me resting on something i ent got the chance 2 shoot further cause thats the length of my garden but i wanna try 100 yard shots not on animals on target i jus aint got the space lol but i recon i could take a headshot on a rabbit from 35 yrds its quite frustrating really not being able 2 know your limits lol neway thanks 4 the help every1

it does make a difference with distance and pellet. at 25 to 30 yards a domed or round head pellet would be your best bet. for killing at 15 to 25 yards i would say a decent brand of hollow point. anything closer ,try a flat head. it only takes 3 foot pound pressure to crush a bunnies skull. shoot a bunny or rat up the butt and there is a very good chance that it will do the offski. :good:

why not set atarget up on one of your permissions i do this to practice standing and kneeling shots :yes: also if you fancy agood read try total airguns by pete wadeson its got a whole chapter devoted to stances distances and wat not :yes:

also AKA why would you need 3 different pellets :eh:the closer you are to the quarry the more ftilbs it impacts with so i see no need for hollow points as long as you have practised all ranges :/

• 2 weeks later...
Up in scotland ive a shooting buddy who can hit a golf ball out to 110 yards with a FAC, hw 97k,long stroke, and takes rabbits regular at 80+ meters,an amazing rifle shot by an amazing bloke, 2 dots down on a mil dot scope, in 177. makes shooting springers kids play

thats FAC tho but i was told that the rifle is not a s powerfull up close. say 5 -10 yards as the pellet hasnt had time to reach power, :good: i dont belive this but is it true ? cheers

lew

The reason fpe is measured at the muzzle is, that's where the energy of the projectile is greatest.

How can a pellet continue to accelerate beyond the muzzle when there's nothing pushing it anymore?

After escaping the muzzle, friction (with the air) & gravity do their stuff on the projectile which pretty soon succumbs in terms of trajectory & velocity.

Someone is talking cobblers & Isaac Newton is merrily spinning in his grave now that his 1st & 2nd laws of motion just went out the window.