How many shotguns / cabinets

mgsontour

On 04/02/2024 at 14:58, mgsontour said:

do I have to ask permission if I want more than 3 as that's the safe that was inspected

Every time you buy and sell a shotgun you will inform the local firearms licensing - right?

So they know how many you have If they have any concerns they will email you or call you and ask

I had an email because what storage they had on my record was not the same as what I had in practice , I hadnt changed it, their information was just incorrect so I just told them what I had by email and they were happy

As long as you are ensuring they are properly secured (which is your explicit responsibility) thats what the SGC/FAC holder needs to be concerned with

Home Office do publish a Security Manual and brief guidance documents (available online) which talks about holding larger quantities and what an RFD might need - its a bit of a heavy read but if you just look at the bits that apply it can provide some interesting information 

brief guide - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7a1638ed915d6d99f5d0d7/security_leaflet.pdf

Detailed Security Manual - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6007f45dd3bf7f0bf63ab9e5/Firearms_Security_Manual_2020.pdf

D

2 hours ago, Downforce said:

Every time you buy and sell a shotgun you will inform the local firearms licensing - right?

So they know how many you have If they have any concerns they will email you or call you and ask

I had an email because what storage they had on my record was not the same as what I had in practice , I hadnt changed it, their information was just incorrect so I just told them what I had by email and they were happy

As long as you are ensuring they are properly secured (which is your explicit responsibility) thats what the SGC/FAC holder needs to be concerned with

Home Office do publish a Security Manual and brief guidance documents (available online) which talks about holding larger quantities and what an RFD might need - its a bit of a heavy read but if you just look at the bits that apply it can provide some interesting information 

brief guide - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7a1638ed915d6d99f5d0d7/security_leaflet.pdf

Detailed Security Manual - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6007f45dd3bf7f0bf63ab9e5/Firearms_Security_Manual_2020.pdf

D

Perfect. Thank you

On 12/02/2024 at 14:59, Downforce said:

D

This is quite correct and great advice. Unfortunately police forces (like TVP) are enforcing the Home Office security manual onto private owners too. I know because I'm a gunmaker in Wiltshire that borders Berkshire (TV) and used to be in the TVP region. Most of my customers are Berkshire and they are telling me that this is happening to them. Short answer is no. There is no restriction on the amount of shotguns you can own. You may be asked to up your security other than the size of your gun cabinet. I've always been a proponent of not being afraid to ask your FEO "where does it say that in the Home Office guidance?" When he/she says you have too many guns. Or any more than 6 guns you must have an alarm or You have a 3 gun cabinet you can only have 3 despite fitting four in there. Don't be afraid of them. If we let them get away with what they make up then that will be it for others in the future. 

They (Home Office) have now grouped levels of security required for the keeping of firearms that doesn't just take into account how many firearms you own. It also takes into consideration, where you live, the construction of your house, etc. In a sense I don't think it's a bad thing as at least we have something in writing to go by than the FEO's or force areas making it up as they want it to be. Which used to happen all the time. Remember, in theory you still don't need a gun cabinet......

I have a Brattonsound RL7 & was flagged as too many firearms ie full capacity + 3 rifle sound mods, desk bound pencil pushers not up to speed about certain things. FEO explaind & happy with the situation. At some stage I must of stated my cabinate capacity. The only thing I can add that might be of value to some, with a deep rifle cabinate if only shotguns are stored in it there is room for more shotguns behind in the space where rifle scopes would go so with additional foam my RL7 could be classed as a 9 gun cabinate. I also have a Brattonsound RL5, the door is so much narrower & a pain getting rifles in & out of. Definately worth getting a bigger cabinate than you need simply for ease of use.