How many shotguns / cabinets

mgsontour

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice before I 'poke the bear' if I may.

I've looked online but can't find the answer, so thought I'd get a consensus of opinion from the trusty PW's before I ask Lancs firearms on how many shotguns can we hold, which must have something to do with the size of cabinet we all have.

I had a cabinet with 3 slots for 3 guns but could easily fit a 410 in there also, so is it a matter of how many you can jam in there and still lock it? Can I bolt another 3 gun cabinet in next to it and thus have 6 guns? Or do I have to ask permission if I want more than 3 as that's the safe that was inspected?

Thanks in advance lads

30 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Thanks and just read through it and non the wiser so better ask the police in case my cabinet is the wrong colour

I've just done a Google search and nowhere does it mention a limit. Plus, I'm sure that if there was a limit [UK], it would be stated on your SGC ? 🤔

Edited by JKD

Do NOT ask licensing! There are no restrictions on the number of shotguns you can have in any cabinet. 
A three gun cabinet is advertised as such so a potential buyer has an idea of its size. It is not a ‘limit’. 
I have never informed licensing whenever I’ve bought another cabinet, it simply hasn’t occurred to me to do so. If I needed one I just bought one. I have one standing empty in a shed outside, given to me by a friend, but I haven’t informed licensing. What would be the point? 

If you can get a fourth shotgun in your three gun cabinet there is nothing in law to prevent you doing so, just remember to inform them you’ve bought another gun. 👍

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Do NOT ask licensing! There are no restrictions on the number of shotguns you can have in any cabinet. 
A three gun cabinet is advertised as such so a potential buyer has an idea of its size. It is not a ‘limit’. 
I have never informed licensing whenever I’ve bought another cabinet, it simply hasn’t occurred to me to do so. If I needed one I just bought one. I have one standing empty in a shed outside, given to me by a friend, but I haven’t informed licensing. What would be the point? 

If you can get a fourth shotgun in your three gun cabinet there is nothing in law to prevent you doing so, just remember to inform them you’ve bought another gun. 👍

I had nine in a so called seven gun brattonsound cabinet. The police were only interested in the safe door being locked and secured, not the number of guns in it. All checked and satisfactory when my license was renewed.

As an aside and out of interest I looked at deactivating shotguns, I thought it would be a relatively simple job carried out by a gunsmith, one googled gunsmith was quoting nearly £400 pounds, it has to go to proof house twice. So we now have the situation where only steel proof guns are of any value, and fibre shot cups are the only wads available for steel shot [soon]  I dont know about cartridge manufacturers but fibre shot cups for home loading are not available for 20/28/410,s,. Holts are selling British made, top quality older shotguns for a pittance. The saying its an ill wind that doesn't blow anyone any good holds, as our American cousins can buy a London gun for a few quid and USE it. Im lucky as I don't need many carts to get enjoyment from fowling etc and can use Bismuth and fibre, but those that want steel for clays or pigeon had better get another cabinet for a nice new steel proof 12 bore and some factory fibre ammo

39 minutes ago, Scully said:

Cheers Scully, I'm of the same opinion as yourself but always remember a wise old man telling me; one man doesn't know everything, so ask if your unsure

22 minutes ago, islandgun said:

As an aside and out of interest I looked at deactivating shotguns, I thought it would be a relatively simple job carried out by a gunsmith, one googled gunsmith was quoting nearly £400 pounds, it has to go to proof house twice. So we now have the situation where only steel proof guns are of any value, and fibre shot cups are the only wads available for steel shot [soon]  I dont know about cartridge manufacturers but fibre shot cups for home loading are not available for 20/28/410,s,. Holts are selling British made, top quality older shotguns for a pittance. The saying its an ill wind that doesn't blow anyone any good holds, as our American cousins can buy a London gun for a few quid and USE it. Im lucky as I don't need many carts to get enjoyment from fowling etc and can use Bismuth and fibre, but those that want steel for clays or pigeon had better get another cabinet for a nice new steel proof 12 bore and some factory fibre ammo

I just decommissioned a gun and what a performance back and forward to the proof house and the certificate still came back wrong! A pal of mine just picked up a gorgeous old miroku for sub £400 which adds merit to your words. The world has gone nuts my friend

37 minutes ago, islandgun said:

As an aside and out of interest I looked at deactivating shotguns, I thought it would be a relatively simple job carried out by a gunsmith, one googled gunsmith was quoting nearly £400 pounds, it has to go to proof house twice.

I have deactivated a couple of shotguns, bolt action rifles in the past. Back then it was a simple matter that could be done with a drill and a cutting disc if you wanted to do it crudely. A mill if you wanted to do it neatly or, even, spark erosion. That and a small bit of welding. Nowadays it is with a side by side gun more complicated. As the forened iron needs to be permanently fixed to the loop on the barrels. This so that the gun cannot be then taken apart into the three parts of barrel, forend, stock and action. And the breech faces that previously needed only to be drilled have to be drilled and the striker holes welded. So, yes, although there's not £400 worth of labour or materials there is £400 worth of labour, materials and "faffing about" including the outrageous Proof House charge. The only still existing monopoly in the UK. Compare the cost of certifying a de-activation with the cost of having your car MoT tested. Rip off Britain lives on at the Proof Houses. One man with a spiked metal rod and maybe a small hammer for five minutes examination, Compared with an MoT thousands of Pounds worth of equipment, rolling road, ramp, gas analyser, and etc., etc.. A two man job at times, and twenty minutes examination. And double submission? Yet on an MoT bring it back the next day and the re-test is free. It really is something that our shooting organisations should look into?

Edited by enfieldspares

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I have deactivated a couple of shotguns, bolt action rifles in the past. Back then it was a simple matter that could be done with a drill and a cutting disc if you wanted to do it crudely. A mill if you wanted to do it neatly or, even, spark erosion. That and a small bit of welding. Nowadays it is with a side by side gun more complicated. As the forened iron needs to be permanently fixed to the loop on the barrels. This so that the gun cannot be then taken apart into the three parts of barrel, forend, stock and action. And the breech faces that previously needed only to be drilled have to be drilled and the striker holes welded. So, yes, although there's not £400 worth of labour or materials there is £400 worth of labour, materials and "faffing about".

Indeed, Sadly it seems many of us have worthless, beautiful, historic guns that are destined for the bin and you cant even put them on the wall 😕

44 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Standard pressure steel cartridges will be fine though any in proof shotgun with chokes less that 1/2. Have run several hundred through a old Beretta with not problem 

21 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Standard pressure steel cartridges will be fine though any in proof shotgun with chokes less that 1/2. Have run several hundred through a old Beretta with not problem 

Agreed I have also put steel through my old Beretta but with plastic wads, however lack of fibre shot cups coupled with choke, in small bores which are a problem, obviously they can be opened out but its still plastic wads[ if you can get them]  and open chokes

Edited by islandgun

21 hours ago, mgsontour said:

I'm looking for some advice before I 'poke the bear' if I may.

19 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Cheers Scully, I'm of the same opinion as yourself but always remember a wise old man telling me; one man doesn't know everything, so ask if your unsure

Nope, you were right the first time.  With Scully on this.

Don't ask them.  Long as you can physically fit them all in, you're sound.  I currently have more shotties than my nominal capacity and nobody's mentioned when I've spoken to my local force.  So far.

Don't confuse this with police forces' varying requirements for an alarm above 'x' number of guns.  There you will need to fall into line*, as advised by your force.  So in Avon and Somerset, above 6 guns you need an alarm, and a monitored alarm above 12.  Your results may vary.

*I suppose  in theory you seek judicial review on this, but I personally wouldn't choose to die on that hill.

I have a 3 gun cabinet and upon buying my fifth gun, Kent police queried this with me. The 5 guns were ‘top and tailed’ so fitted in ok and the door could be shut. I emailed them a photo of the guns in their positions in the cabinet and got a reply that all was well.

As previously said, providing they fit ok and the door can be locked, then that would appear to be the main criteria.

I can only assume that my FEO must have recorded the cabinet as a 3 door one in the first instance.

OB

I have a 10 gun cabinet and was also top and tailing guns , so i bought another 6 gun cabinet and took out all my air rifles  apart from one and put it in the loft , I have a top shelf in the 10 gun cabinet i use for ammo and two ammo cabinets in the loft . When i get inspected i just open the loft hatch and say help yourself so far nobody has taken up my offer . 

39 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I have a 10 gun cabinet and was also top and tailing guns , so i bought another 6 gun cabinet and took out all my air rifles  apart from one and put it in the loft , I have a top shelf in the 10 gun cabinet i use for ammo and two ammo cabinets in the loft . When i get inspected i just open the loft hatch and say help yourself so far nobody has taken up my offer . 

My cabinets are two 7 gun and a 5 gun, making  19 spaces. 
I don’t keep any of the air rifles in the cabinets (couldn’t get them all in anyway!) but the whole lot are in a locked loft. 
FEO’s have been climbing the loft ladder every renewal since 1987 when I moved the cabinets up there.

2 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Some great answers to the topic lads but out of interest, has anyone example changed a 3 gun cabinet to a 5 or added another cabinet along side their original one?

Yes, just added another cabinet as needed 

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Some great answers to the topic lads but out of interest, has anyone example changed a 3 gun cabinet to a 5 or added another cabinet along side their original one?

Simple I had a deep seven rifle cabinet, pulled out the foam and can fit in 12 shotguns no problem, door closes job done

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Yes. More than once. 

I've got 4 cabinets, bolted side by side (2x2) with a total capacity of 19 firearms. I haven't got that many (yet) but during a recent security inspection, I showed the FEO that in one of the 5 capacity ones, I had 3 rifles in it, due to their bulk, and 4 rifles in another 5 capacity one to avoid scratching/knocking them. He was more than happy.