Struggles with dogs tie

MLL-12

Hello All, 

I'm relatively in-experienced when it comes to breeding dogs and I'm looking for some advice in regard to my stud if you can help.

He is proven and sired a litter at the start of this year but I've had a bitch visit the past three days and whilst he is interested in mounting her and she is flagging and allowing him do so (after about 10-15mins of snapping at him when he tries to mount). 

The issue is that it seems extremely hard for him to be able to enter the bitch, he seems to be on the money and all going well but I've noticed he either then seems to be lower between her legs or in the area and just simply cannot achieve the tie. The bitches owner believes she is on day 12 and I know that may be too soon but would that cause an issue with him being able to enter and achieve the tie ?

Have you ever heard of this before and know of any tips to assist them ? Is it too soon ? or is it just simply a case of not meant to be ?

Do you have any ideas as to why it was or just one of life's mysteries ? Was your dog proven or sired litters after that one ?

She is a maiden bitch but showing all the right signs up just isn't happening yet.

2 hours ago, MLL-12 said:

Do you have any ideas as to why it was or just one of life's mysteries ? Was your dog proven or sired litters after that one ?

She is a maiden bitch but showing all the right signs up just isn't happening yet.

Sorry mate - dig not make it clear

I had the Dam 

No the Dog never sired a litter before or after 

The dog i used had not either but he walked into the garden and that was it - sorted 

Sorry i have just re read your post and you have the dog that has sired before - that is most odd and apologies i have not heard of that 

As Krico said, my lad Ted has had two maiden bitches a few weeks back, both bitches stood and he was in and tied within a few minutes. 

They were tied longer than the foreplay. 

If however the bitch is standing and the dog just ain’t performing you can try giving them a break, and trying again. 

Some people will leave the bitch with the stud owner so they have no time pressure to perform. 

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

As Krico said, my lad Ted has had two maiden bitches a few weeks back, both bitches stood and he was in and tied within a few minutes. 

They were tied longer than the foreplay. 

If however the bitch is standing and the dog just ain’t performing you can try giving them a break, and trying again. 

Some people will leave the bitch with the stud owner so they have no time pressure to perform. 

Yep, and a good tie should last between 20 and 40 minutes.. do you charge a  stud fee Lioyd90? Or take a pup back?

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

Yep, and a good tie should last between 20 and 40 minutes.. do you charge a  stud fee Lioyd90? Or take a pup back?

I charged a stud fee for the last ones (he’s only done 3).  

When we move house and we have more land / space I’ll be looking to get a kennels up as our garden too small for one atm. 

Will allow opportunity to have more dogs if needed, will see. 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I charged a stud fee for the last ones (he’s only done 3).  

When we move house and we have more land / space I’ll be looking to get a kennels up as our garden too small for one atm. 

Will allow opportunity to have more dogs if needed, will see. 

Very good. Its out of interest I ask. How much do you charge for a service? Do you require bitch to be of a good working standard,  etc..  when  I give a service ( not very often) the bitch has to be of good working quality.  And its normally when I want a pup of that particular dog.i could let dog serve more bitches,  but I don't want breeding scattered all around the place.  

2 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Very good. Its out of interest I ask. How much do you charge for a service? Do you require bitch to be of a good working standard,  etc..  when  I give a service ( not very often) the bitch has to be of good working quality.  And its normally when I want a pup of that particular dog.i could let dog serve more bitches,  but I don't want breeding scattered all around the place.  

Depends how you look at it, if you have a quality working animal, that’s healthy and got good traits, and someone is going to breed their bitch, are they better off using your quality, proven, healthy dog? Or some random dog potentially with faults and health issues. 

As I said he’s only had 3 bitches. 

First litter was bred to a fully health tested trial award winning bitch, all went to “working” homes, some as Gundogs, but others working in sports such as agility and fly ball. Reports back from new owners that one pup has won awards in puppy Gundog completions, and another has won some sort of flyball awards / competitions (however that works, not my cup of tea).

The two other bitches have only been recently, both well bred working line birches that are health clear of issues. One the bloke just does a bit around his farm and the other the woman does agility.  Both owners are keeping pups back for themselves. 

If someone turned up who was clearly just pumping out a litter for ££ I wouldn’t be interested, but happy to consider people who ‘work’ their dogs just in other ways. 

I charged £350 for stud fee, for a fully health tested clear dog who’s a trial winner / open award winner. 

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Depends how you look at it, if you have a quality working animal, that’s healthy and got good traits, and someone is going to breed their bitch, are they better off using your quality, proven, healthy dog? Or some random dog potentially with faults and health issues. 

As I said he’s only had 3 bitches. 

First litter was bred to a fully health tested trial award winning bitch, all went to “working” homes, some as Gundogs, but others working in sports such as agility and fly ball. Reports back from new owners that one pup has won awards in puppy Gundog completions, and another has won some sort of flyball awards / competitions (however that works, not my cup of tea).

The two other bitches have only been recently, both well bred working line birches that are health clear of issues. One the bloke just does a bit around his farm and the other the woman does agility.  Both owners are keeping pups back for themselves. 

If someone turned up who was clearly just pumping out a litter for ££ I wouldn’t be interested, but happy to consider people who ‘work’ their dogs just in other ways. 

I charged £350 for stud fee, for a fully health tested clear dog who’s a trial winner / open award winner. 

Good to see pups being worked one way or another.. £350 is definitely very reasonable for a dog with good credentials.. if you have moved house by next year, and the room,  you may be interested in a pup from across the water. I plan to breed my own dog and bitch.  Hopefully have a good litter. Won't get in on the ins and outs on of them, But both dog and bitch are extremely hard working dogs.  From a line of Springers I (and my late father)have for 30 years.  Could be something different for you LIOYD90 👍