Light loading or what ever its known as?

One for the reloaders that have more experience than me.

I'm looking at reload for one of my guns as its a struggle to get some of the ammo for it, reloading standard  rounds is not a problem (been reloading for my 243 for some years without blowing anything up or off) but i would like to load some lower energy rounds as well. So is it just a case of adding lest powder from the starting load until I get to what I am after or am I missing something?

Light loading is, yes, basically loading just the powder maker's recommended starting load (less the usual 5% or so they advise to reduce if the components you are using are not the same as in their recipe). This is because the velocity achieved by loads in powder maker's manuals are optimistic, often in a twenty-six inch barrel and therefore the advised velocity if often some way above the velocity the load will be in your rifle.

Reduced power loads are a different thing in how I "name" reload types. These may often use a powder not normally associated with that cartridge in its full power form. So might use such as Red Dot or some such. The older Lyman 45th Reloading Manual had many of these such. Some indeed with cast bullets cast from linotype alloy. But it is certainly not recommended to try to make a reduced power load simply by using, say, just 50% less powder than in your usual load. Not anyway what I'd ever do.

My advice is that using the powder maker's official data for their suggested starting load (and any advice they give on beginning 5% below that of different components used) will, as said give you a light loading. Note that it is for also for what their tests have shown is good reason that some powder makers call that suggested starting load the "minimum loading". So don't try the 50% less route please!

Edited by enfieldspares

If you could give an indication of what you're loading for and what velocity you're after you might get more help.

I reload for all sorts of things and, as said, quite a bit of data you can reduce the max charge, often by about 10%. Interestingly some powders are more accurate at a lower charge, but some can be quite fussy.

You can get data for reduced charges, something like Hodgdon H4895 can be used at 60% max charge (see their web site for details). Only try this with powders recommended for the purpose.

Then you can reload subsonic, again the Hodgdon site has load data which should give you an idea of what you can do.

https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

Thanks guy.

How much difference does case capacity make? As in if I had data for one case capacity (length) what would happen if I used that data in  a case with higher capacity( longer)?

Same bullet just different case length, like 357 mag to 357 remington maximum

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Different cartridges should be loaded with their specific data from the powder maker's website. The same with 38 Special v .357 Magnum v .357 Maximum or .44 Special v .44 Magnum v .444 Marlin. 

Ok, so 38sp 90grain bullet Trail Boss powder start load 3 grains max 5 grains 357 mag 90 grain bullet Trail boss powder start 3.5 grain max 5 grain.

44sp 165 grain bullet trail boss powder start load 4.8 grain max 7 grain 44mag 165 grain bullet trail boss powder start load 6 grain max 8 grain.

The powder loads over lap so what would be the problem putting the 38sp start load in a 357 mag case? The other way round yes I can see that could be a problem.

444 marlin is a rifle case and is completely different in everything but the rim diameter.

Trail Boss isn't a good example as it's designed to be a bulky powder that's hard to over load.

If we're talking 38 special and 357 Mag then it is not uncommon for people to use 38 data in 357 brass if they know what they are doing. That's not to say all 38 data can be used and with the NRA insisting you use published data on NRA ranges it's worth searching for the data.

It is worth looking around though as data often varies from book to book and online. 

What do you want to load?

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

The powder loads over lap so what would be the problem putting the 38sp start load in a 357 mag case? The other way round yes I can see that could be a problem.

In theory and in practice you could load a Keith type semi-wadcutter bullet "deep" in a .357 Magnum case (by crimping over the front of the forward driving band) and so have the case capacity that you'd obtain if you loaded the same bullet in a .38 Special case but crimped into the actual crimp groove behind the forward driving band. That may or may not be safe practice and I'd not suggest it unless and until you'd had sich loads then tested by a Proof House. But as I say I'd consult for load information that you are going to use ONLY the powder maker's website. And that alone. So that's my last contribution to the thread. 

Edited by enfieldspares

50 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Trail Boss isn't a good example as it's designed to be a bulky powder that's hard to over load.

If we're talking 38 special and 357 Mag then it is not uncommon for people to use 38 data in 357 brass if they know what they are doing. That's not to say all 38 data can be used and with the NRA insisting you use published data on NRA ranges it's worth searching for the data.

It is worth looking around though as data often varies from book to book and online. 

What do you want to load?

looking at reloading .32 H&R mag to full energy and down to around .32 acp energy. As both 32 h&r and 32acp aren't easy to come by now. Trouble is not exactly spoiled for chose with components