Hanging rotary tool

I am currently looking into purchasing a hanging rotary tool with a flexi shaft, for carving wood.

I’m currently on my 2nd Dremel hand held tool, and repaired the same one twice, with the same common fault.

The wire on the coil heats up and snaps !

I want a more heavy duty hanging rotary tool, but have no knowledge of what type to look at.

I do know, I won’t buy another Dremel make tool.

Can anyone suggest a suitable heavy duty type, with pros and cons.

There is plenty of Chinese copies on EBay, but I would prefer something a bit better quality.

Thanks.

I can't recommend a particular tool, but whenever I need great quality tools and equipment I look in MachineMart and Axminster Tools. Then buy from either Axminster or Screwfix/Toolstation depending on price 😆

I have an old Rotozip somewhere in the garage, mains powered, its a bit like a giant Dremel on steroids, last used for freehand routing on electric guitar bodies. I bought one of the Chinese rotary tools from Ebay about 6 years ago, whilst slightly larger than the Dremel it is certainly a manageable tool, mains powered and seems almost indestructible. I use it for drilling, shaping, cutting, polishing and a myriad of other jobs on metals wood plastics etc. 15 quid well spent!

It must be really annoying when a legitimate main dealer like Cooksongold advertise the Foredom SR rotary tool on EBay for £300 plus and the next advert is selling a blatant copy of the same machine for £55 .

Whilst looking for the Foredom SR, even the likes of Amazon had copies of the same machine for £95 .

Foredom has even published how to spot copies of the Foredom SR machine .

IMG_2203.png

IMG_2206.png

Post just arrived, this morning with my new Foredom rotary tool, and I’m very impressed with the quality of the machine and the decibel level of the machine.

It is a lot quieter than I expected and has a solid cast alloy housing and quite weighty.

The foot operated pedal will take a bit of getting used to, but I will master that in time.

Only time will tell how it performs, but it has to be a lot better, than a Dremel and will accept larger wood burrs.

First impressions, very pleased 😀 

11 minutes ago, Shambam1962 said:

Post just arrived, this morning with my new Foredom rotary tool, and I’m very impressed with the quality of the machine and the decibel level of the machine.

It is a lot quieter than I expected and has a solid cast alloy housing and quite weighty.

The foot operated pedal will take a bit of getting used to, but I will master that in time.

Only time will tell how it performs, but it has to be a lot better, than a Dremel and will accept larger wood burrs.

First impressions, very pleased 😀 

I don't think there is a better machine good luck with it ( a little jealous ).