FX Crown Mk2 Hammer Spring Adjustment

wymberley

Apart from possibly making the Subject adjustment and buying the rifle with the heavy liner and as soon as the local constabulary pull their finger out (rifle currently sitting in the RFD waiting for them to do so), that's it as after that it'll simply just get used. But I have a problem. Unfortunately, I'm quite deaf and have to rely on subtitles and am also of an age where I and my brain cells are parting company at an ever increasing rate - took me forever to get to grips with the mRads on the new scope. Consequently, I could do with a bit (more) help/advice as I'm somewhat confused.

On You Tube there is, "How to reset your hammer wheel to max on the FX Crown" The nitty gritty cuts in at about 3.30 mins. There is also, "FX Crown GRS stock removal and hammer spring adjustment". Here the critical bits cut in at about 6.30 mins. Bearing in mind my impediments, it seems to me that both articles are attempting to increase the power setting but one does it by increasing the extension of the screw from its carrier and the other, the opposite. I suspect the subtitles on one may be to blame but can't be sure.

I would go for increasing the extension but would welcome any input.

MTIA

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I would ask when you pick up the gun, FX rifles can be tweaked to suit different pellets or slugs, but messing too much seems to cause a lot of problems.

Will do.

Watched this:

FX Crown Harmonic Tuning Guide (youtube.com)

Seems pretty straight-forward and adjusting the internal hammer spring once is going to be the be all and end all of my fiddling.

11 hours ago, wymberley said:

Will do.

Watched this:

FX Crown Harmonic Tuning Guide (youtube.com)

Seems pretty straight-forward and adjusting the internal hammer spring once is going to be the be all and end all of my fiddling.

I couldn’t get a consistent shot string on my MkII Crown using the Meathead Marksman process. He seems to choose a pressure then try make his gun work at that pressure.

For a tight spread you need find the right balance between pressure and hammer at the velocity you require. I found the process described by Sub12 Airgunner got my FPS spread much tighter. It’s demonstrated for sub12 but the process is the same no matter what fpe you’re aiming for.

I got my .25 crown averaging 920FPS on a full magazine and a nice tight spread following the YouTube link below.

PHOTO-2023-09-16-19-40-15.jpeg.020885dfaa1815ac34029d9a6fe9948e.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Well, this original post was the voice of the prophet of doom. Things were looking good. I picked up my R-10 SE which had been in for repair and which the RFD had elected to send back to BSA for the work to be done. Running it over the chrono showed that it was exactly what I was hoping for. In all this has taken nigh on 2 years to get to this stage but this timescale has nothing to do with the current RFD who did exactly what he said he would. I was well chuffed so also put the brand spanking new Mk2 Crown which I'd picked up at the same time over the chrono and got 650 ft/sec. Eh? At this point one just has to ask, oldish chrono or duff new rifle although the BSA figure was what I was expecting. Either way Crown back to RFD. Within a couple of hours I was told that the hammer spring mechanism - what else, it just had to be? -  was to blame and had now been corrected and that it was now throwing a 25.39 JSB at 1007. So, all's well that ends well - at last.

49 minutes ago, Pyb said:

How’s the accuracy at that fps? What speed do pellets start going transonic?

Don't know to either point. I have only got as far as checking the velocity (twice!). As I got the rifle back in a couple of  hours, I'm quite pleased it was defective as it has now been professionally tuned to suit the individual rifle. I wouldn't mind a small wager that it's now a tad quicker than one simply 'off the shelf'. At c1000ft/sec my chrono under-reads by 28 ft'sec and I can live with that. I'm trying to act my age and have had enough of fiddling - I just wish the idiot who made a right mess of the BSA had been like minded. Fiddling is one thing and adjusting another. I have set the regulator at 145 bar, the hammer spring is at the top end. Consequently, any adjustments I may make will all be in the same direction and aimed at consistency, accuracy and keeping the air use to a minimum all with a satisfactory performance. Was a bit surprised to find that JSB 25.39 and also 33.95 grs together with the H&N 30.86 all came home within 1 .6 ftlbs.

Most pellets can handle 1000 fps .even .177 jsb 8.4 s 

The most important  thing to look for when tuning a gun is on paper consistent accuracy .ignore  the chrono 

Get it roughly when you want it .say around 900 fps .and then try all the hammer spring settings till your long range accuracy  is good and reliable .then rechrono just to find out what it is and stick with it .even if it's 950 or 850 fps .doesn't matter you have plenty of power either way just adjust the scope to suit - done .