Winchester 101 Field

Scully

Thanks to @pigeonbasher oz for the case. 
image.jpeg.e80a9e003d8e1a5bcb673e48b5d26fac.jpeg

I once sold this to a friend who coveted it and borrowed it each time we went on our rough shoot.

I had a Grand European also so didn’t think I’d miss it, but each time I saw it I yearned to have it back! I found him a GE eventually and bought back the Field. He still asks me to bring it whenever we go on the rough shoot! 
It has 27” fixed choke 1/4 & 1/2 barrels, black action and a small brass bead in the vented top barrel. It has plain varnished wood and is nothing exceptional, but there’s just something about it I can’t put my finger on. Mate agrees. I found it as a sleeper in Lakeland Guns, along with a sleeper of a Winchester 1500 XTR. I bought them both for less than 500 quid the pair. 
I shot my most memorable bird with this gun many moons ago. 
It was the last drive on the last day of the season, days which more or less turned out to be a glorified dog walk really, and after four drives hadn’t fired a shot. 
I was walking gun down the left hand side of a 250 yard long broad wood, bereft of conifers, and there were no leaves on the trees and all the cover in it was gone, battered down by a season of rains and strong bitter winds. I was keeping up at a steady stroll with the beaters dogs, my always the optimist Border Terrier skipping along beside me. 
With about fifty yards to go not a bird had lifted and not a shot fired from the standing guns, and just as I was thinking I wouldn’t need to clean my gun, I saw a pheasant lift through the bare canopy on the far side of the wood. 
‘Ah well, nevermind’ I thought, it was someone else’s bird. But as I watched, it cleared the tree tops where the strong wind turned it roughly in my direction, and then it was hurtling towards me from about 20’clock, at a really good height. I closed my gun, stepped into its path as it crossed me, and swept it from the sky as it scythed past. It simply folded up and arced down into the next field. I heard a distant cheer from the woods! 
My Border was well on her way and retrieved it splendidly. 
Sometimes, that’s all it takes to make your day. That one memorable bird. 

30 minutes ago, pigeonbasher oz said:

Iv got another case the green beige type with winchester written all over it .Thats for my 101 though

I had one! Sold it along with my Diamond Grade to ‘sweeten’ the deal! Well worth holding onto. 👍
I have another Winchester red leather 101 case, but that’s for my 8500. 

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Scully - looks great and very nostalgic - pigeonbasher oz is a top lad to deal with.

Thank you. Yes, he is. Totally painless transaction. 🙂👍

• 2 weeks later...

I have a thing for old Japanese guns, 101s, 101 Light weights both 12 and 20, Miroku 3700S,  son has 6500 trap gun with a grand European game gun stock, all beautifully finished and they've all handled like dreams, better than the original B25s in my opinion.