One reason game isn't selling.

On 07/04/2024 at 18:59, Mable said:

When I started shooting, butchers and fishmongers had game hanging outside. You could take rabbits, hare, pigeon, duck etc, straight from the shoot and sell them, (or pay off ya mams tick).

Not seen hanging game for what? 30 to 40 years? 

Now, how often do you see independent butchers or fishmongers? It's all supermarkets and trays wrapped in shrink wrap. I wouldn't know where to sell anymore.

The last time I saw game hanging in a butchers was in Wells Next the Sea in 2014.

I also remember a poultriers/butchers in Leadenhall market in the heart of the City of London had all manner of game and wildfowl hanging up in season, but that was a long time ago, now.

It's now a poncy sandwich bar.

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

The last time I saw game hanging in a butchers was in Wells Next the Sea in 2014.

I also remember a poultriers/butchers in Leadenhall market in the heart of the City of London had all manner of game and wildfowl hanging up in season, but that was a long time ago, now.

It's now a poncy sandwich bar.

It must had been just into the new century when I last saw game hanging up in a butchers shop , I used to sell a few head of game to a butcher in Yarmouth market place and he hung a few Pheasants in the shop , this only lasted a few days after numerous complaints , he then put them in his walk in fridge and that didn't last long neither as the inspector told he mustn't put them in the feather anywhere near other meat , so to keep the peace he took them home and plucked them in his shed and then burnt the feathers , he then got complaints about the smell from the burning feathers , in the end he bought what few he wanted from a registered game dealer and my little earner had come to a end , mind you I was better off as the fuel I was saving was costing me more than what I was getting for the game. :lol:

Edited by marsh man