Any MOT testers here?

Dave-G

Can anyone detail this bracketed MOT speak/code please?  >(2.4.A.3)<

I'm doing up another Shogun Pinin project car that has zero chassis corrosion to be seen - very strange for a Pinin I know but it can't have been used on salted roads.

Looking into its previous onllne MOT history I find a fail detailed as below. I've seen many issues of Pinin corrosion, inner sills, turret tops and inner front wings, cross members etc but cannot find any sign of any corrosion repair and suspect it was an MOT con job on a naive owner and the pass was issued 2 days and zero miles later  - and there are no subsequent corrosion issues.

Could it maybe mean something other than chassis/welding?

A really minor issue I know but when I advertise it I want to make a reference to the absence of any corrosion repairs because its so unique. I'm happy to give the reg number to anyone who is in the know.

Date tested
4 December 2012
FAIL
Mileage
34,137 miles
  • Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
Edited by Dave-G

Strut top/ turret as you have said

Normally reads suspension component mounting area prescribed area is excessively corroded within 30cms of suspension mounting /structural support

Or perhaps he has listed the fault wrong on the computer at the time of mot & it's the suspension itself like the strut & spring being scabby/ rusty

Thanks Stephen.

So are there any EX MOT testers here? The MOT rules apparently changed in May 2018 and I'm wondering if some of the bracketed codes no longer apply so are difficult to find on a search. This is the currently sorn car's MOT history: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=x93cwp

Every fail and advisory has a code at the end which appears to be some form of section flow chart to a specific defect. I have found an MOT code breakdown here:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/mot/mot-failure-codes that ties in with other fails and advisories.

It shows part of the (2.4.A.3)breakdown I'm looking for as follows:

(2) Section: 2 Steering and suspension.

(2.4): suspension general.

(2.4.A): All suspension types

But I can't find the (.3) bit.

I realise its small potatoes but this has got my curiosity going so haywire I just HAVE to try to find out.:big_boss:

Posted (edited)

Huh - the mystery has seemingly sunk to someone not knowing what to enter as a fail - but made it look like it could be a chassis corrosion to a layman by recording this part in the  fail description: mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/2-steering

The upshot is the full 24a3 code is not used

•  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •  

2.2. Steering wheel and column or handlebar, forks and yokes, Show

•  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •  

2.3. Steering play, Show

•  
  •  

2.4. Not in use, Show

2.5. Not in use, Show

Edited by Dave-G

On 09/04/2024 at 21:54, Dave-G said:

So are there any EX MOT testers here?

Yes, I retired last year.

I'm not sure if you've already answered yourself anyway, but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for as

"Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)"

is the generic failure item and is as specific as it gets. the number sequence is just referring to that section of the testers manual that applies.

What's missing on the failure certificate is the descriptive text that can be added by the tester to better explain or identify the exact nature of the fault.

However this is often not done for any number of reasons.

If you can't find any sign of repair within 30cm of any of the offside front suspension mountings it's probably been applied in error as previously mentioned.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Yes, I retired last year.

I'm not sure if you've already answered yourself anyway, but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for as

"Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)"

is the generic failure item and is as specific as it gets. the number sequence is just referring to that section of the testers manual that applies.

What's missing on the failure certificate is the descriptive text that can be added by the tester to better explain or identify the exact nature of the fault.

However this is often not done for any number of reasons.

If you can't find any sign of repair within 30cm of any of the offside front suspension mountings it's probably been applied in error as previously mentioned.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if anyone still had a copy of an "old" pre May 2018 manual that might list the complete code flowchart - in case the last part of it had been discontinued.

Having found the code flow "chart" I'm satisfied it was a section 2 steering issue (all suspension types) rather than a chassis issue - and it sort of ties in with taking two days and zero miles to obtain and fit a replacement part before passing the MOT. Thus I can honestly claim in a sale advert there is zero mention of any chassis corrosion: there is no chassis welding work done on it anywhere and none needed. I think it will make a classic car with the right owner and IF it comes back to me as driveable when the clutch is replaced it will be an exceptional condition forecourt car. Some of the better one's - with welding repairs - are fetching up to 5k and apparently someone bought a welded up one for 7k a few weeks ago.

Edited by Dave-G