.17 HMR ballistics range power etc Anyone know?

SAVAGE HMR

I've recently bought myself a Savage Arms .17 HMR, I've been using it for a few weeks for rabbit, crow and hare control but it has recently come to my attention that there are alot of foxes on the land I shoot. I seem to come anywhere between 50 and 300 yards when I see them on foot. I'm wondering if anyone else has used an .17 HMR to take out a fox and if so what would you say your maximum range would be? I've taken shots at coke cans at up to 250 yards so I know I'm on target I'm just not sure if I have the power to kill behind the bullet. I wouldn't be all that happy if I just dented the poor thing! Also whats better for the long range job? I've been using the ballistic tips but haven't yet had the opertunity to try out the hollow points.

Any help you can give me would be a great help.

Personally I have no problem using my hmr on foxes to 100 yards and would go a bit further if needed depending on conditions etc. I have shot one at 150 yards and before everyone jumps on the band wagon it was a cub about hare size and didn't twitch in the slightest.

The interesting thing about the HMR is that its allegedly an explosive round so you need to be careful where you shoot however onve the range increases and the velocity slows it becomes less prone to fragmenting as fast yet still retains a lot of energy so penetration can actually be better at 150 yards than 100 IMHO

Whichever way its fine to 100 and in the right conditions and if you are confident of your shot placement you can stretch it a bit but though it will do the job a centre fire is better.

Thanks for all your help guys, and thanks to SPARKIE for the link to the ballistics downloads.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Have a look at some of the testing I did here recently:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=42508

Goes some way to show how the 17HMR rounds perform. Not perfect test by any means but interesting.

Jerry