Yesterday Clay Shooters

On 10/05/2024 at 14:12, Penelope said:

That looks more like a live pigeon event that a clay shoot; look at the strings, pulled to release the pigeons.

On the old Eley Plus traps, strings were used to release the target from them. They still needed a trapper to cock and load the clay onto the Trap. When I took over the running of a clay ground in 1990's, we inherited an Eley plus trap which was cocked and released by a lever situated at the rear of the 5 firing points. A trapper would load the clay onto the arm. Damned dangerous really, the trapper had no means of communication with the guy releasing the Trap. Winchester white flyer traps were the first of the electronic traps that I saw. Although electronic cocking and releasing, again a trapper was needed to put the clay on the Trap arm.

8 hours ago, Westley said:

On the old Eley Plus traps, strings were used to release the target from them. They still needed a trapper to cock and load the clay onto the Trap. When I took over the running of a clay ground in 1990's, we inherited an Eley plus trap which was cocked and released by a lever situated at the rear of the 5 firing points. A trapper would load the clay onto the arm. Damned dangerous really, the trapper had no means of communication with the guy releasing the Trap. Winchester white flyer traps were the first of the electronic traps that I saw. Although electronic cocking and releasing, again a trapper was needed to put the clay on the Trap arm.

The   trap you mention was a old Blair  Gowie   trap and goes back to pre war days it was auto  and the release was behind the shooters and used for DTL .The handle for cocking the trap was  a 4 foot metal pole  that stood upright and connected to the trap by metal rods that were at ground level   when you push the top of the upright forward that cocked the trap and changed the angle  when the bird was called the top of   lever was pulled back  and released  the clay ,In the past I must have released  many thousands of clays from this type of trap 

Feltwad

49 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

The   trap you mention was a old Blair  Gowie   trap and goes back to pre war days it was auto  and the release was behind the shooters and used for DTL .The handle for cocking the trap was  a 4 foot metal pole  that stood upright and connected to the trap by metal rods that were at ground level   when you push the top of the upright forward that cocked the trap and changed the angle  when the bird was called the top of   lever was pulled back  and released  the clay, In the past I must have released  many thousands of clays from this type of trap 

Feltwad

I too released thousands of clays from the one we inherited, it was most certainly an Eley 'plus' Trap, (it was stamped on the side). It may have replaced the trap you name, as I had never seen a DTL base on an Eley trap before. We replaced it with a Winchester,  having got 240 volt power to the trap house. When you say the trap was 'auto', did it have a clay magazine, or was a 'trapper' required  ?

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I too released thousands of clays from the one we inherited, it was most certainly an Eley 'plus' Trap, (it was stamped on the side). It may have replaced the trap you name, as I had never seen a DTL base on an Eley trap before. We replaced it with a Winchester,  having got 240 volt power to the trap house. When you say the trap was 'auto', did it have a clay magazine, or was a 'trapper' required  ?

Yes this trap did require a trapper to load after each shot. the trap was bolted  to half a  wood railway sleeper  a hole off  15 inches square and  18 inches deep was dug into the ground for the the trapper to put his legs when he sat just behind the trap To keep him safe a  trap house   of steel  6 foot long 4 foot high and 3 foot wide for both him and the trap for protection which replaced  a tin sheet backed up with straw bales  The plus trap you mentioned the ones I remember were hand  operated with a coil spring inside barrel type body and had a double throw arm and a Olympic arm.

Feltwad