Got a pheasant chick - not sure what to do next

So the spaniel had a hen off a nest at the side of a road ( no i didn’t expect one there either) .  Seen lots of females and males in the surrounding fields during our walks round watching the wildlife the road is not near any syndicate so decided to pick them up and keep them warm.

no broudy hens down the farm or at the shoot syndicate farm - so got a incubator of amazon and had a go . I didn’t really expect any to hatch with a £45 incubator. But got home tonight and knew i was in the wife’s ‘ Good - Books’ 

so what next it’s got a thimble of water and a thimble of chicken crumbs safely in 1/2 a cartridge box ( yes the irony) in the incubator waiting to see if any more eggs will hatch.

after a guide to get em to about 4 weeks 

thanks in advance 

Agriv8

IMG_3469.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

Edited by Agriv8

Did this about 2 years ago.   It was a simple as: chick crumbs, heat lamp, and water.  Actually kept them indoors, in a room awaiting refurbishment so just let them go on the floor and scraped up the mess occasionally, and obviously slung the carpet afterwards.  Towels, carboard box and the like and they'd huddle together at night.  Even got an offcut or 2 of turf so they could practice scratching around.

When they were old enough, took them up to our local DIY syndicate and put them in the empty catch up pen, ensured they had food and water,  then eventually freed them into the  woods. 

Good luck, they seemed quite hardy to me.  Be super  careful of the cruising altitude of the heat lamp.  Possible to cook chicks and they can be a fire hazard.

• 1 month later...
On 04/06/2024 at 18:44, Agriv8 said:

Thanks the fire hazard bit was an eye opener so went with a heat plate instead now got 2 chicks out and a 3rd beak out!

water ( 2 mm in a low dish ) and chick crumb .

Thanks again 

Agriv8

They are professionals in killing themselves, but it is quite fun having them about. Make sure ethe heat pad is the right height to keep them warm and raise it as required as they grow. Water keep as low a depth, a Gu pot with pebbles or marbles in it but filled means they can't drown. They'll drown easy in such a small amount if they fall and can't get up