Am i eligble for a shotgun licence?

justjoshing

Hi,

I am a 17 year old A level student.I have done clay shooting in the past i decided to try it again.I still enjoy it so i thought about getting my own shotgun, i just dont belong to a club or anything and i dont live in the country side either.

Is there even a point in applying or will i be wasting my time.

theres many threads on this very subject , with out more info its difficult to say , do you live at uni have you been in trouble with the law , have you had any lessons , you say you have shot in the past good but the police like to see a responsible attitude so my advice is get some lessons and get reading up the the CPSA Clay Pigeon Shooting Association - CPSA - Website Has some very good info as do the BASC - British Association for Shooting and Conservation link i would say join one ... fill you profile out also

justjoshing

As has been said, do a search on PW, and visit the web sites stated. Once you have done this you will be able to draw your own conclusion as to your chance of sucsess.

How can any of us pass any comment as to your chances as none of us know you.

webber

Age, Student status and location should have no bearing on a Shotgun certificate application. You already meet the age requirement for purchasing and owning a shotgun and carts.

There is no need for a formal membership to a clay shooting ground. Merely having the intent to shoot at one is sufficient. Obviously it looks good in your FEO interview if you have had a couple of sessions there already when he comes round. Joining a shooting association like the BASC is also a good step as they are very helpful in firearms matters and; give you decent shooting insurance as part of the membership.

You should apply as soon as possible; it can take several months to process these days. Either get a firearms form 103 from your local police station or goto: http://www.basc.org.uk/media/form_103.pdf .

It's all fairly straight forward to fill in; http://www.basc.org.uk/media/scot_app_renew_shotguns.pdf will guide you through it. (The guide applies to England and Wales as well.) Also ring up your police force and ask for firearms licensing. Get the address to send the application to. Send it by recorded delivery!!!

That should get you started, just reply if you need anymore help.

Best Regards,

mr_colt.

P.S: I wouldnt buy a cabinet just yet. post for advice near the time and I am sure someone here can give you advice on secure fitting.

I am going vlsy shooting at the weekend and im going to join the BASC.Do you need a shotgun cabinet for the home inspection?.

Do you think i have a reasanoble chance of getting my licence.

I dont know about the cabinet being fixed before your licence but you have to describe on the application form where the shotguns will be held.

And if you have an interest in shooting I dont see the problem in you getting a shotgun licence. Just join BASC they give you information and help with SGC and you get insurance.

Just dont call it a ticket to the FAO

Thanks guys.I will fill out my form and send it to my nearest police station.Im going to go clay shooting next saturday, also my dad is a chief inspector in the police, will he be able to say he has known me for 2 years and everything, even though he his my dad.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards

Your Dad will not be able to act as a reference if he is a serving Police Officer......its lists likely candidates on the SGC info listed on the various FAT websites

Guest The Outlaw

No your father can not counter sign your application.

It should say on the form who is the best person to counter sign it for you.

I would suggest someone that has known you for at least 5 years in an official capacity, like a doctor or a friend of the family that has known you for the same time, that holds a responsible position in the community.

I have counter signed a few in the past on the strength that I own my own business and employ a certain amount of staff.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

Sorry to sound harsh, if you have the form then you should read it carefully.

It lists all the requirements on the back you will need.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Tony

When I applied for mine I failed to mention an old 3 pointer speeding fine I still had listed on my licence which was well out of date.....got a ####ing from the Firearm enq Oficer when he came around because I didn't mention it on my form(very nice man though).....Outlaw is right....read everything carefully so you make the right impression.....and therefore don't hold the application up.....it can as stated take months even if things run smoothly

When I applied for mine I failed to mention an old 3 pointer speeding fine I still had listed on my licence which was well out of date.....got a ####ing from the Firearm enq Oficer when he came around(very nice man though).....Outlaw is right....read everything carefully so you make the right impression.....and therefore don't hold the application up.....it can as stated take months even if things run smoothly

A couple of years ago I did something really stupid, my mate was driving his car and as it was my last day with my mates before moving up to Scotland I decided to fool around, so I climbed on top of his car and I was hanging of his sunroof while driving around a roundabout anyway low and behold their was a policecar on the otherside of the roundabout it stopped us and they gave my mate 3 points and a £60 fine.

But the thing that got me was that they got out a book which said disorderly conduct or something like that and £60 fine on the front, so they took my details like name and address and I was waiting for a letter to come through, but I got no letter and no fine.

I think it was just a warning but the policeman never said it was a warning

So this is my question: Would that of been put on my record?

Is their a place where you can check your criminal history?

cause I am not sure

When I applied for mine I failed to mention an old 3 pointer speeding fine I still had listed on my licence which was well out of date.....got a ####ing from the Firearm enq Oficer when he came around(very nice man though).....Outlaw is right....read everything carefully so you make the right impression.....and therefore don't hold the application up.....it can as stated take months even if things run smoothly

A couple of years ago I did something really stupid, my mate was driving his car and as it was my last day with my mates before moving up to Scotland I decided to fool around, so I climbed on top of his car and I was hanging of his sunroof while driving around a roundabout anyway low and behold their was a policecar on the otherside of the roundabout it stopped us and they gave my mate 3 points and a £60 fine.

But the thing that got me was that they got out a book which said disorderly conduct or something like that and £60 fine on the front, so they took my details like name and address and I was waiting for a letter to come through, but I got no letter and no fine.

cause I am not sure

Sounds like he was in the process of giving you a secton 5 Disorder ticket.....although he should have given you a piece of paper to send the fine etc off......so It sounds as if you got off that one mate. You can if you like send off to yuor local force for a copy of your PNC record.....not sure what it costs nowadays but may be worth it for piece of mind.

To have an entry placed o youtr pnc you need to have been convicted or at least admitted responsibility via a fixed penalty notice or a formal adult caution....and you have done none of those.

I am assuming you were 18 at the time.

cause I am not sure

Sounds like he was in the process of giving you a secton 5 Disorder ticket.....although he should have given you a piece of paper to send the fine etc off......so It sounds as if you got off that one mate. You can if you like send off to yuor local force for a copy of your PNC record.....not sure what it costs nowadays but may be worth it for piece of mind.

To have an entry placed o youtr pnc you need to have been convicted or at least admitted responsibility via a fixed penalty notice or a formal adult caution....and you have done none of those.

I think I was 19 maybe 20 year old at the time

cause I am not sure

I think I was 19 maybe 20 year old at the time

Copper probably just decided not to bother......a lot of incidents like that fall down to your attitude....if you didn't give him any lip then he prob didn't enter any paperwork......sounds like you would do well as a stuntman