Browning C3 B25

Arley

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a Browning C3 for my son, its a private sale and the guns looks in great condition, i am aware the C3 is 30+ years old but it seems very well made and it has been clearly looked after.

Is there anything i should look out for?

Thank you

Fire it with snap caps to check the function and ejector timing.  Go over the woodwork with a fine tooth comb for cracks and the same for any pitting and the overall condition.  It won't be steel proofed but should be fine with standard loads.  Be aware if it doesn't fit him and you have to bend the wood vertically or laterally there is a small risk it could break.  As a young man the Skipton Gun Room had a great selection of Brownings I used to go and admire but could never afford one, many are superb value SH now.

I have one and it is a very nice choice!! As weihrauch said check the wood work most defiantly also check for oil staining of the wood around the metal parts. Another thing to check is the position of the top lever. You want it to be slight to the right up on closing if it is to the left (looking from the butt end of the stock) that could mean a welding job is needed to build the locking surfaces back up. Also check for pitting and I would take the fore end off and check under there (you will have to undo the screw as it should be captive). Some wear marks around the fore end will be there due to this. 

All of the above and also check the side ribs aren't loose. Especially under the fore end wood. I've seen dozens of B25's that look fine until you take the fore end off and both sides have lifted. A proper repair would be to refix the ribs and re black the barrels. Then you are into hundreds of pounds.

On 19/06/2024 at 06:31, Northerner said:

I have one and it is a very nice choice!! As weihrauch said check the wood work most defiantly also check for oil staining of the wood around the metal parts. Another thing to check is the position of the top lever. You want it to be slight to the right up on closing if it is to the left (looking from the butt end of the stock) that could mean a welding job is needed to build the locking surfaces back up. Also check for pitting and I would take the fore end off and check under there (you will have to undo the screw as it should be captive). Some wear marks around the fore end will be there due to this. 

If the lever comes left of centre its not the bites .Its wear on the lever /bolt connector .I've seen numerous B25's with very worn bites but the lever still stopped at centre