Progress on Bane, GSP pup.

MartinP

Hi there all

Posted a while ago bout new GSP pup Bane. All goin well i think, he's 4 1/2 mths old now, ****** on the lead, but off the lead he's alright. Heels majority of the time, ignores 8/10 other dogs, and now has no interest in bikes or joggers. Retrieves dummy to hand 9/10 times and responds somewhat to hand signals, left, right and 'go back'. Will stop to whistle when not searching (haven't been able to break that one) and will again when not searching, return on 3 pips most of the time. pointing ain't the best. was better at pointing when younger. Read a book which suggested letting a pup pick up real bird now and again which i think may have done a little damage, won't point at anything apart from leaves now!!! Gonna be great on a windy autumn day!!!!!! am a Little bit concerned about hard mouth, gives the dummy to me without any issue but does seem to chew it a little when bringing it. Tried to link pics, hope it worked as he's a real looker, know that as stops ladies when we walking!! wife ain't always happy but they wouldn't stop if didn't have muttley with me so will enjoy while i can!!! Any advice would be most grateful

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16775014@N03/

If hasn't worked will have to work to try again

as said I think you're rushing things a bit, I wouldn't try on real birds at all at the moment and just concentrate on the basics. My feeling is if you switch onto game too early without the basics right then you will have problems.

My GWP pup is a little older than that and so far we're just doing lead work and getting the re-call right but like you things are fine till there are distractions. With pointers it seems the slow approach seems to work best and they do seem to have a very limited concentration span

I would personnally keep at the leash work and get that 100%. I would also.....if you are not doing it.......break some of the retrieving up with play sessions so that it does not become a chore. The mouthing of the dummy may well be that he is rolling the dummy in his mouth to get it comfortable, as it may be a little big, I would give a try with a smaller dummy or a tennis ball and see what happens.

Good Luck,

NTTF

Thanks guys, advise taken on board. Training i am doing with him is not intensive, only doing bits a week, making it a game for him when on walks in the field with the odd serious retrieve but have printed off training schedules and advice in above section so will re-read and take note. Will keep ya'll posted on his progress.

Ta :unsure:

he's a real looker, know that as stops ladies when we walking!! wife ain't always happy but they wouldn't stop if didn't have muttley with me so will enjoy while i can!!! Any advice would be most grateful

My advice would be to leave the wife at home and make the most of the attention while it lasts! :/