DAWNS EARLY LIGHT

Highlander

Out at first light this morning and what a morning to be alive...hard frost, clear skies and a stunning sun rise. Walked the dogs out over the meadows, everything still, the first birds and rabbits stirring, mist hanging over the river course and then to cap it all 4 feral greylags fly into the fields honking as they come. Pups sat and watched just like the old dog...do they know? If todays pigeon shooting is s**** who the hell cares. Pity all you poor b******* stuck in an office all day long! :good:

On the dog walk this morning, he lifted a bird from a hedged/tree-lined field margin about 30ft in front of me. In the gloom I couldn't make out 100% what it was but I'm fairly sure it was a woodcock. It stayed low and I got the impression it was going to land again but I lost it in the semi-daylight.

I'm about half a mile from the east cost shore-line.

Anyone else seen woodcock yet this year?

On the dog walk this morning, he lifted a bird from a hedged/tree-lined field margin about 30ft in front of me. In the gloom I couldn't make out 100% what it was but I'm fairly sure it was a woodcock. It stayed low and I got the impression it was going to land again but I lost it in the semi-daylight.

I'm about half a mile from the east cost shore-line.

Anyone else seen woodcock yet this year?

Yep quite a few round here but then we do get them all year round. Wait for the November moon and then you'll see some around your way, Montrose, my favourite place.

As Highlander has already said we get alot round this way that are all year round residents. On our shoot after three days we have seen 10+ and have shot two. The last day out, two came up in front of my neighbouring guns to my right together, but weren't high enough to be a safe shot with the beaters closing in.

Can't wait for the November moon to see how many we get on the estate then.

SS

We have a few over here also, I got my first woodcock on 10th nov, with guy in our club shooting a left and right on Saturday past. How many witnesses does he need to become a member of exclusive woodcock club.

Have pictures on phone but having probs downloading to computer as they seemed to have fallen out with each other :angry: