How to get started?

Billett

Hi all,

I'm looking to get into clay shooting, but i'm not 100% sure where to start?

Would I need to purchase my own gun to start (obviously license depending)?

Where would the bet place to learn/practice be? I've thought about clubs but wonder whether or not they like peopl who would miss pretty much all the clays to start with lol.

Any advice would be greatfull

Regards

Chris

yep find a local club that do clay pigeon intro lessons. i paid £40 for 25 clays plus instruction. i have had about 5 lessons now and have just got my SGC through so will be looking for a gun soon. once you start its quite an addictive sport. unfortunatley its also an expensive one.

Thank you for this information, i have looked into some of my local clubs, and see that they offer novice course which i think would help alot.

I do have another question, as you stated its also an expensie hobby, what would the main bulk of the costs be? I recently decided i need a new hobby, as all i do is work, and looked at Karting, this was way too expensive in the long run, so i wondering whether clay shooting would be cheaper.

Regards

Thank you for this information, i have looked into some of my local clubs, and see that they offer novice course which i think would help alot.

I do have another question, as you stated its also an expensie hobby, what would the main bulk of the costs be? I recently decided i need a new hobby, as all i do is work, and looked at Karting, this was way too expensive in the long run, so i wondering whether clay shooting would be cheaper.

Regards

Once you've got the shotgun (£300-£1000ish) the ongoing costs are a bit dependant on how often you go. I go once a week and shoot 100 clays (or shoot AT 100 clays ???:lol: :lol: )

That costs me £20 for the privilege of shooting at them and about £12 for the cartridges. So I reckon on about £30 every time I go. I would like to go about 3 times a week but can't afford it :rolleyes:

Some other costs are SGC license £50 every 5 years, Club membership varies but mine is about £60 a year, CPSA membership (good idea if only for the insurance) from £30 a year, gun cabinet about £120.

You can buy all sorts of other **** and clothes - Lurcherboy buys designer frocks to shoot in, but that's probably not strictly necessary :lol:

You forgot the essentials in Ear defenders of some description and if you don't already wear glasses, eye protection as well.

Things you need to get you started: -

Shotgun Certificate

Gun Cabinet

Shotgun(s)

Gunslip

Cartridges (Try a box of each you like the look of/can afford, find one that you like and stick to it)

Ear defenders of some description

Eye protection unless as already stated above.

Skeet vest/belt pouch or other means to carry around the cartridges rather than bending to the ground every time to pick them up. Neither essential but does help with your back if shooting 100plus clays.

All the best as it is a great hobby to take up.

SS :rolleyes:

Regards

With regards cost, I have only been shooting clays with my own gun for 6 months or so. Once you have done the initial layout for the Cabinet, License, Gun etc etc. The cost of shooting can be different club to club, if i shoot at my local clubs up in the hills and in a quarry it cost me £6.00-£7.00 to shoot at 50, plus cartridge costs at about £6-8. If i go up to a 'posher' club it costs £12.00 for 50 clays plus cartridges.

Hope the price doesn't put you off yes the initial layout cost can be high if you let it, getting the most expensive equipment etc, once you have payed this mind it should last for a good few years (unless like most shoots i have met one gun is not enough, and i am always looking for a new toy). And once you start it is hard to stop, even if you miss most of them, like me, there is always someone to help you point you in the right direction, but it is a good social hobby.

Cheers Bob.....

With regards cost, I have only been shooting clays with my own gun for 6 months or so. Once you have done the initial layout for the Cabinet, License, Gun etc etc. The cost of shooting can be different club to club, if i shoot at my local clubs up in the hills and in a quarry it cost me £6.00-£7.00 to shoot at 50, plus cartridge costs at about £6-8. If i go up to a 'posher' club it costs £12.00 for 50 clays plus cartridges.

Hope the price doesn't put you off yes the initial layout cost can be high if you let it, getting the most expensive equipment etc, once you have payed this mind it should last for a good few years (unless like most shoots i have met one gun is not enough, and i am always looking for a new toy). And once you start it is hard to stop, even if you miss most of them, like me, there is always someone to help you point you in the right direction, but it is a good social hobby.

Cheers Bob.....

Definitely not put off, the initial cost wont be too bad, was more worried about the long term costs, even once i have me SGC and gun I will probably only go twice a month, until i get a new job lol