what fields

What kind of field should i look for to crow deek in? on that i know they feed in? weat? sugar beat? e.t.c, becuase i tried deeking in just a weat field and it worked well on the jack daws. But this morning i tried there again the same place and nothing took intrest in them, apart from a stock dove that came down and feeded with them!!!! :(

Crows are territorial Birds Mag, particularly during the Breeding season,

Young crows are fledging about now and will not be far from the parent birds or the original nest site for the next few weeks.

Crows are not seed eaters and eat generally carrion, worms, insects, birds eggs, etc. so they are difficult to decoy to crop fields unless they have been cropped like as Robson says for sileage and they can get after the leather jackets in the short grass.

Also Crows wont feed on hard ground because they cant get their beaks into the grass roots after the leather jackets etc.

I have had great success decoying both crows and daws into gun range next to pig fields as the swill troughs and the muddy fields are a magnet to them.

Near me a couple of maize fields were drilled about two weeks ago and there have been crows, rooks, daws and quite a few pigeons on them.

FM.

Whenever people ask about decoying Crows I take it for granted their actually talking about Rooks, as not many people will go out for the day to decoy Carrion Crows. Having said that there are occations when people will use dead baits, eggs, and stuffed animals etc to decoy Carrion Crows.

Most of my crow shooting is actually Rook shooting although i have had good mixed Rook/Crow bags over Spring Drills, Silage, Blown Barley and stubbles so as to weather Carrion Crows eat seeds is up for debait. I've certainly shot crows with barley in their mouths.

Mark.

Some good advice from FM and M R

I've got permission to shoot two pig farms. One is better to shoot over than the other, as they feed the pigs with pig nuts rather than a liquid feed.

Recently, the pig farmer planted grass seed on a setaside part of the farm. This has been excellent for decoying rooks, jackdaws and a large number of crows.

One item that I swear by when decoying rooks is cradles. I use about 20 this makes the pattern more realistic to oncoming birds. The hide is placed in a shaded area or if out in the open I have a roof on the hide. and wear a face veil.

I'm out Thursday shooting rooks, hopefully I'll take some pictures and put them on the forum.