need gun info please

dazbrit

I am after buying my first shotgun and have been looking at a browning medalist. Does anyone have any info and experience with this gun (good or bad). I need a gun for shooting clays and game but only want to go to around 700 quid. Any input will be of great help

Browning Medallists aren't made by Browning. :lol: Nor are they half the quality..so don't go in fooled by that one!:whistling: Many people like them as first guns but personally I would spend less and go for a good secondhand gun for ~£300 - £400 as most people change after a year or two (I didn't think I would...but I did!), so this is a point worth considering.

I would advise a good secondhand Lanber, 28 or 30in chokes (depending on fit and your size), 3in (or 2&3/4in) chambered multichoke sporter. IMO better made and better quality to the medalist. :good: Should be able to pick one up for my advised price too.

If your lucking at spending £700 (if it's really burning a hole in your pocket!!) then you could get a good secondhand Berratta, real Browning, Miroku etc etc! Worth considering when spending your hard earned cash - as they are 3 or 4 times the gun compared to a Medallist! :good:

Take a ganders at guntrader...and as your in N.Wales don't rush in if your thinking about buying at Sealand clay ground - they're OK, but pricey! :yes:

Thanks for that oly. Iv'e been looking in Morgans in Oswestry and some of there prices seem quite reasonable. They had a beretta silver pigeon m/c and i reckon i could get him down to around 700. Also have a few franchi harriers in for about 600 quid new. any thoughts

Thanks for that oly. Iv'e been looking in Morgans in Oswestry and some of there prices seem quite reasonable. They had a beretta silver pigeon m/c and i reckon i could get him down to around 700. Also have a few franchi harriers in for about 600 quid new. any thoughts

new harriers are very alike to bettinsolis,go with the silver pigeon if it fits. there are nt really any bad guns out there,i would however stay away from browning medallist,its made by fias in italy some say the ejectors give a lot of trouble.id have a franchi or bettinsoli first.look for a good second hand miroku they are a great value gun

Nice one Daz, Morgans aren't supposed to be too bad from what I have heard. Would still be worth checking guntrader out online though. Like I say, personally I would still look to spend ~£300-£400 as even with a SP2 you may well find that a Miroku fits better in a year - and you'll only be losing money by trading in again. Good s/h Lanbers for this money are always worth their money as they are a great starter gun, but also a gun that many do keep hold of. My brother bought a good s/h lanber then after 18 months went to a £1K+ Browning then after about 3 months took it back an bought another decent Lanber - he lost about £300 over the three months he had the Browning though! :good: Still loves his Lanber. :whistling:

Havent tried them yet but you could also look at Dragon Field Sports in Wrexham, West Mids Shooting Ground at Hodnet (bit pricey) or Minsterley ranges