Auto S/G's in the USA

starlight32

From what I have seen of shotgun ownership in the U.S, I am right in saying Automatics are the most preferred choice of shotgun for all types of hunting in the U.S?

I will admit they are my preferred choice due to their versatility. I notice limited use of O/U'S and particularly S/S's or am I incorrect?

IMHO your right Starlight, semi's are very popular Stateside- being far cheaper than an entry level o/u or sxs. Also its very versatile when you consider the different sorts of hunting available - turkey,waterfowl and deer (slugs/buckshot) plus upland bird hunting for pheasant,chukar,grouse etc. There is a demand for o/u's and sxs's for the various disciplines but the s/a is certainly the best allrounder if you've only got one gun in the house.

they are certainly a lot more popular there than they are here. I would say it is a split between pumps and semi's, maybe a slight edge to semi's. There are no shell restrictions in a lot of states, so you can load 5 and hunt. Federal waterfowl regulations limit you to 3 shells in the gun, but that's one more than a double.

In the states, side by sides and doubles are only popular really with upland bird hunters. A very few will use doubles on waterfowl and none use them on deer. Even then, quite a number of upland bird hunters shoot autos and pumps. I think you'll find that older folks who were raised on pump guns still shoot a pump and not a semi. If you weren't raised on a pump you typically don't shoot one later since you can get the same shell capacity, same specifications for length and feel, and have an autoloader.

For me, I started on a SxS and quickly moved into a semi. I bounced between the semi and a pump for a while. In the pat 4 years I've switched between my O/U for my general shooting and a 20 ga semi for smaller upland stuff.

Thanks

Rick

A friend of mine in the states only uses a pump,and he uses it for everything,from 6s for grouse to a solid slug as a back up when he is bowhunting bear.When he is over hear he uses my pump action winchester,but it has a 30" barrel and his back home is only 26"!! He rekons you just dont see ou/ss in your average gunshop where he lives but they are quite sought after.