Whats Best for Hunting

danielsonson

So whats best for hunting (in .177 cal)?

BSA Lightning XL (springer)

Webley Exocet (Springer)

Umarex Air Magnum (Co2)

Weihrauch HW97k

Which ever of the above I get I will fit a moderator (where one isn't already supplied)

I am mostly going to be nailing Rats and the occasional Tree Rat.

Also which is better the Deben Atom or the Logun Lamp?

Thanks

Everyone!

DB :stupid:

I`ve used the original version of the BSA Lightening & thought it alright & have never heard a bad word about the version you`ve mentioned, it`s got a nicer stock & better trigger than the old one plus it comes with a moderator at a not bad price.

The Atom is a more powerful light than the Logun lamp but the Logun lamp is better built & more substantial feeling. If your going to be using it for ratting then the Logun lamp is easily good enough for this & rabbiting plus its cheaper.

I'd go for the HW. 1.77 is fine for Air rifle hunting, it an age old argument between .177 & .22 but if you put the lead in the right place, what does it matter. Have you considered the weight of the rifle, a full days shooting with a 7lb HW rifle will take it out of you. The bsa is lighter i think?.

With the 177 you have the choice of lightweights for long range accuracy accupels/premiers, and for the heavy hitters you can use the 20 grain piledrivers, and they hit with a heavier thump than some 22s, so theres little more to argue about with the pellet conundrum,i have a weihrauch 97k in 177 the piston has been shortened , with a decent spring can put out near 20 ft lb, but that is not the reason the work was carried out,the gun shoots sweeter with a shorter spring so has more power for less effort,and seems more accurate for it,,

Thanks everyone -

I ended up getting a .177 BSA Lighning XL - with Logun Lamp - I have fitted my 3-9x40 Simmons Whitetail

Although I will replace this with an IR scope soon probably.

Love the gun although have only had a chance to put a handful of pellets through it - nearly sold it to free up some cash as Landy broke down, but all sorted now so will be keeping the XL for some ratting over xmas.

Only disappointing bit is the Lamp - the lamp itself is good but the wiring is so cumbersome and chunky - I think I may re-wire it with a smaller switch from maplin!

Thanks for everyones help - I had the Choice of a Webley Exocet also but decided I preferd the feel, balance and weight of the XL over the HW and the Webley.

:good: