Just bought a new rifle

njc110381

I picked up my new rifle yesterday, the first to go on my FAC. It's a Tikka T3 Laminate Stainless in 6.5x55. It's a lovely gun, and I've put a S&B 8x56 on it which seems to be a nice scope.

I run the barrel in at the club today, what a job! One shot and clean fifteen times, then two shots and clean five more times. The bore really felt smooth by the time I'd finished, the first clean sent a patch out with bits of swarf on it and felt like I was scrubbing a file which was scary! When I started I was running the solvent patch down and then following after a couple of minutes with around six patches before they ran through clean. Once I'd got past ten rounds I was down to the solvent patch and the third coming out clean? Is it supposed to get easier as it runs in and smoothes up?

I did find one annoying thing though, my home loads were grouping 2" at 50 yards, Federal Power shok 140s at about an inch, and Prvi Partisan FMJ (which I run it in with, cheapskate) were doing single hole groups! So much for finding the best round for stalking :blush:

I'm planning to put a Wildcat Predator 8 on it. Of all the mods I've handled (PES, T8 and Wildcat) it's by far the lightest. It only adds a few inches to the muzzle and is about the same size as a T8, fully strippable and all parts are replacable. Good for £215!

Here's a photo of the gun

PIC_0117.jpg

I'm planning to put a Wildcat Predator 8 on it. Of all the mods I've handled (PES, T8 and Wildcat) it's by far the lightest. It only adds a few inches to the muzzle and is about the same size as a T8, fully strippable and all parts are replacable. Good for £215!

Here's a photo of the gun

PIC_0117.jpg

nice to see it neil :blush:

I got the German scope, but only because I got it from a friend. I bought the rifle from UK Custom Shop, who make the wildcat moderators. He sold me the gun for £675, ready screwcut and proofed! To be honest I wouldn't travel too far to get your kit, find the best local dealer you have and give them your trade if they're reasonable (only travel further if you have to). My regular shop is Shooting Supplies (45 mins away) and they are really good. I only went to UKCS because they had a cancelled order which happened to be my rifle, and they are only 5 mins away from my regular shop. You don't have to be completely loyal to one trader, but keep it reasonably local. For the sake of a few pounds saved it would be a shame to lose your local shop, so keep them busy :blush: