Pigeon Mince. Help needed

pob

I'd heard pigeon breast makes a good chilli so had a go and the results were very tasty.

I'd like to try and convert a few people to eating pigeon, but the meat texture doesn't look as close to lamb or beef mince.

Does anyone add anything when mincing (Insert gay jokes here) to get a more authentic effect? Perhaps some pork fat? If so, in what quantities?

I'd heard pigeon breast makes a good chilli so had a go and the results were very tasty.

I'd like to try and convert a few people to eating pigeon, but the meat texture doesn't look as close to lamb or beef mince.

Does anyone add anything when mincing (Insert gay jokes here) to get a more authentic effect? Perhaps some pork fat? If so, in what quantities?

HI

I make mince (Don't add gay jokes here) and have added pork mince but to be honest it did not really help. I found the pigeon mince quite wet and had problems with tendons clogging up the cutter/holes. I make pigeon burgers mixing in egg and using flour around the outside. In my experience the mince cannot be confused with beef or pork. Maybe that is a good thing. To convert people just feed them some great dishes. Why try to imitate another meat?

I find a curry a good start with diced pigeon. I put a recipe on the section >>>clik here<<<

There are many other great recipes from other members.

If you crack the problem of tendons in the mincer please PM me..

MS

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful.

I guess what I want to try and do is get folks thinking of pigeon as a once a week thing and take it off of my hands. I wouldn't want to waste what I shoot.

It mostly goes down well when I make something with it, but they won't use it themselves. I reckon pork belly is the way forward.

I'll certainly try the other recipes though.

Cheers.

How about just mincing the breast, then making confit/stock with the rest to avoid the tendon problem?

(Not being much of a pigeon shooter, but being an avid eater of nearly anything, I acknowledge that my lack of experience may make this suggestion open to criticism!!)

Alternatively, I used to remove sinews/tendons from game birds by pulling them down the leg gripping them with needle nosed pliers. Worth a go?