Does anyone remember

neil

Does anyone else remember going into a sports shop and buying sporting goods? In my nearest town (Penzance) we have 3 alleged sports shops all selling trainers and tracksuits and uuumm not alot else :D .I mean its like opening a fish and chip shop and only selling wooden forks and vinegar.The reasion i ask is i went into one of these shops today to get a new tip for a snooker cue,the conversation went as follows:

ME,Hello have you got any snooker cue tips?

MEMBER OF STAFF,Snooker cue?

ME,Yes,yknow the bit that goes on the end of the cue

MEMBER OF STAFF,(after chatting in depth  to one of his collegues),"which end?"

I mean, i wasnt expecting Jimmy White to serve me but it doesnt take much working out does it?Anyway it turned out they didnt have any anyway :D

Here in North Yorkshire, and also in County Durham, we have several sports shops which sell just about any sporting goods.  They sell the usual trainers, track suits, football, cricket, tennis clothing and equipment etc, snooker stuff, darts, dominoes, and some have a range of guns, Barbours and tweeds, and fishing tackle!  You would definitely be able to get a snooker cue tip there.

However, they are all independent shops in small market towns.  

The usual high street names will only stock the basic sports "fashion" clothing and kit.  The people working there are only trained in sales and do not have any knowledge or experience of other equipment.  High street stores rely on a high turnover of commodity sports goods and aren't interested in keeping odds and ends.

We have a similar situation round here, just like Hammerguns area.

The only difference in our tracksuit and trainers shops, are that the staff are not "trained" in anything.

To get served, you frequently would have to interupt a private conversation taking place amongst the staff.

I don,t bother. :D

:D Wen did you last go into a service station and be able to get a part for your car? They will probably be able to hire you a video to explain how to fix your problem but ask for a fan belt or a distributer cap and they would look at you gone out.The nearest shop to me to get cartridges is a fishing tackle shop but fortunately the owner does a bit of shooting as well so stocks a few bits for shooters. :D

The nearest shop that sells any amount of shooting gear is about a 40 odd mile round trip from me (Helston gunsmiths),but it is very good and sells or can get hold of anything.Apart from that there is a branch of Cornwall farmers much closer if i'm desperate for cartridges but they are a bit pricy.There is a secondhand shop that sells air gun aswell but again a bit pricy and not a great selection