A Challange for you all

tulkyuk

Right, after trawling through the internet and local gun shops, i am still undecided on what .223 rifle, scope & sound mod to buy.

so the callange is :-

if you had £2000 ( maybe go a litle more?) to spend on a rifle, scope and sound mod, what would you buy and why please.

Remington VSSF II/VL SS/VLS(or LV SF if you want it lighter) with an ASE Jet-z compact or T8 (only two I've heard, don't think the SAK would work...) Would leave you with around 1000 Euro (converted it to Euro to make sense to me :rolleyes:) to spend on scope, mounts, bipod.

Thinking second hand Schmidt and Bender or Sawrovski (probably fixed mag until you can part exchange it for varible upgrade if you wish, depending on what you can find) and Warne mounts if they'll fit. Then a nice 6-9" swivel bipod from Harris and you'd be sorted pretty much... Besides cleaning gear, transport case if needed, sling etc.

Not an exact set up, and I'm just going on what I see over here and their prices here. I appreciate ye have a greater selection over there.

Tikka T3 tactical - £1200

tikka%20t3%20tactical%20small.jpg

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 - £950

Ase Utra JetZ Compact - think they are around £280

that may stretch the budget a bit!! :rolleyes:

You can buy one new for £995-£1050, I was quoted by four different shops between the range stated so that would drop the total down a bit.

In a nut shell your looking to spend £500 on the scope ,£250 on the mod and around £1000 on the rifle .

SAKO 75/85

8 x 56 Schmidt,Zeiss or Swarovski c/w fixed reticle

Pes or similar s/s moderator with rear expansion chamber that has 2 points of contact with the barrel* :rolleyes:

*Others on here will confirm that the ASE ultra and a T8 on a 22/250 calibre there was a substantial noticable differance in favour of the T8.

Steyr Scout Tactical Elite.

>>here<<

It's the one I use, it's got the usual Steyr Safe Bolt System, spare 5-round mag in the stock, it's a bit heavy but the weight of the reciever means you don't need a varmint barrel. After tuning the ammo to the rifle, I get a 1.5 inch group at 200 yards. For a scope I use the Leupold VXIII Long Range and add a Gen2 monocular when necessary.

Tikka - don't do it mate!! :P

Remington (VSSF/VLS) or Sako IMO with ATec mod & Leupold/Swaro/Nightforce/S&B scope. And if you have some money spare maybe get it bedded/Jackson two stage triger/really decent mounts.

Give me the info on the tikka then oly - i really like the sako 75 i've got now, but want a change from timber to synthetic ( to make it more user friendly from the truck)

Build quality mate, I just think it's really quite poor...which isn't what you should be getting when your spending that much money. :P It's been covered quite a bit on another forum about talking deers, might be worth a look.

I can't get into Remington's site at the moment (blocked at work!), but a pro-stalker mate of mine (who I'd trust with my own money when it comes to rifle shooting) stated that the Sendero is excellent. If you do go for a Remington (or try one), don't get/be put off by the SPS - they are cheap and not a true reflection of decent Remingtons (imparticular sythetics) IMO. Stery would be another good option of course - Minsterley generally keep a few in (think they might have a Sendero in too at the moment).

Minsterley generally keep a few in (think they might have a Sendero in too at the moment).

I was there on saturday with a mate zeroing his new sako 75 varmit in .223 and they didnt have any .223 rifles in stock :oops:

took my mates .223 out last night, we had a nice charlies at 150yrds and we were blowing the heads off rabbits at 200+ :P

will have to keep looking i suppose

Minsterley generally keep a few in (think they might have a Sendero in too at the moment).

I was there on saturday with a mate zeroing his new sako 75 varmit in .223 and they didnt have any .223 rifles in stock :P

Hey, I'm sure the rifle would be near enough the same to give you a feel of the gun regardless of caliber! :oops:

i'm liking the look of the Tikka T3 Tactical or maybe even the Sako TRG :oops: - trouble is they dont do these in .223 :P

Are you talking about the TRG Paul? cause they definitely do the Tactical in .223 with 20"-24" barrel with either 1-12 or 1-8 twist, I'm waiting on a 20" 1-8 twist .223 Tactical, should be here in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Are you talking about the TRG Paul? cause they definitely do the Tactical in .223 with 20"-24" barrel with either 1-12 or 1-8 twist, I'm waiting on a 20" 1-8 twist .223 Tactical, should be here in a couple of weeks hopefully.

TRG - lokked and cant see one, mabye could have one made to suit