CZ ZKM452 rifles

humbug

hi all,

i've now decided on a cz rifle after much deliberation but while browsing the net a new question arose.

what are the benifits of a heavy barrel such as the CZ ZKM452 Varmint against the CZ style which was the gun i was about to purchase??

can anyone help me out, so many to choose from my brain hurts :rolleyes:

cheers

brian.

I used to have a varmint, and wish I'd kept it rather than (stupidly) changing to a Browning T-bolt. Regularly took bunnies with a head shot at 100 yards, with a bipod. I painstakingly got the bullet drop at five-yard intervals on the range, from 50 to 100, and used a Bushnell rangefinder. Never found anything to match it since. When I can find the time to organise it, I shall be changing back to the Varmint. Best .22 I ever owned (though the blueing is rubbish and needs redoing, and a trigger kit is worth the effort).

hi all,

i've now decided on a cz rifle after much deliberation but while browsing the net a new question arose.

what are the benifits of a heavy barrel such as the CZ ZKM452 Varmint against the CZ style which was the gun i was about to purchase??

can anyone help me out, so many to choose from my brain hurts :rolleyes:

cheers

brian.

S'easy really. Go to your local emporium of fine ballistic appliances and pick up the Style and put ti to your shoulder in a shooting type position (after making sure it's empty of course :lol: ) and then pick up the Varmint (ditto). Repeat several times and then buy the one that feels best. For me it was the Varmint, all the weight in the barrel counterbalancing years worth of fine Sussex ale and pies that stop my trouser waistband from flying upwards uncontrollably.

In rimfire cal there is absolutely **** all advantage to be gained having a heavy varmint barrel over the lighter standard where hunting is concerned .

On a range where consistant firing is the norm a lighter barrel will just heat up more quickly that's all .........both as accurate as each other IMO

Couldn't disagree more (quite surprised deadeye)!! B)

Whenever I shoot (whether it be rimfire, fullbore, target or hunting) I would ALWAYS go for a heavy barrel. Not that I'm saying that that should be the choice of all, but for me I shoot ~25% better with a varmint barrel. Regardless of whether I'm hunting or paper punching I want the best shot I can get, so I hump the extra weight and shoot far better - something which I think is VERY important when hunting in order to respect my quarry and ensure a clean kill. :lol:

Varmint barrels are, in the vast majority of cases, more accurate :lol: (particularly at range - I am very comfortable shooting rabbits at 100m with my heavy barrel Annie, I don't know anyone who does similarly with a lightweight barrel).

When on the range (prone or benchrested) I havent seen a lightweight barrel outshoot a heavy barrel yet - there is a significant difference in accuracy. Lightweight sporting standing shots can (and do) beat heavyweights, but that is generally down to the shooters competing rather than the rifles. B) In rimfire, prone, I have outshot the accuracy of all lightweight barrelled rifles that I have used, I have only outshot some of the heavy barrelled rifles I have used (certainly not Anschutz though). THAT said, I would repeat that heavy barrels aren't for everyone, I know quite a few people who shoot better with a lightweight rather than a heavy - it's all down to personal preference (and build/strength) - so in response to your question Brian - go out and try them, it's the ONLY way. :rolleyes:

Know where your coming from OLY but if you can imagine both set ups clamped down with no human interaction so to speak one would not be more accurate than the other .

If we are talking hand lapped match barrels then that is a different senario but I'm just reflecting my personel views around the standard choices most RFD's have for sale and nothing more .

Although in centre fire cal I have a standard .223 barrel that is just as accurate as the heavy varmint barrels used by friends and you'd think with the increased harmonics there would be more of a noticable difference .:good:

I get the impression from the original post that you are quite new to rimfire shooting? (Please forgive me if I'm wrong.)

If this is the case, I think the deciding factor should be your preference opposed to what you think "should" be more accurate. Try out both in the shop, see which you like the feel of. I have a varmint, but then I had the barrel chopped down, which has changed the balance (for me, for the better.) Buy whatever feels right, then practice till you know it inside out. Confidence in your gear is much more important than any perceived difference in performance from marketing hype, or others opinions.

These things are fairly cheap so if you change your mind over time, it's not the end of the world. Good luck.