Warning over washing turkey meat !!

jayward

Eight out of 10 people wash their turkeys before cooking them, a survey finds - significantly increasing the risk of food poisoning. The Food Standards Agency (FSA) found women aged over 45 were the most likely offenders, with the North-East of England the worst black spot.

The FSA warns against washing meat because harmful bacteria can splash to worktops, dishes and utensils.

Germs that cause food poisoning can linger on surfaces for days.

Judith Hilton, head of Microbiological Safety at the Food Standards Agency, said: "Most people think they know how to prepare the Christmas meal with their eyes shut.

"But we've found that there are still a couple of Christmas food safety clangers served up each year. Turkey washing seems to be the most common blunder."

Ms Hilton said it was not possible to wash off all potential disease-causing agents from meat using water - the only way to kill them was to cook the meat thoroughly.

"By washing your raw turkey, you're actually more likely to spread the germs than get rid of them," she said.

Results from the survey show that 17% of people are not sure how to tell when their turkey is cooked.

Although formal reported incidents are fairly low, 2% of people think they have suffered from festive food poisoning in the past 5 years.

To ensure that turkey is cooked properly, make sure it is piping hot all the way through, cut into the thickest part to check that none of the meat is pink, and if juices run out they should be clear. The temperature should reach 70C for a least two minutes during the cooking process.

More than 2,000 people took part in the survey.

Eight out of 10 people wash their turkeys before cooking them, a survey finds - significantly increasing the risk of food poisoning. The Food Standards Agency (FSA) found women aged over 45 were the most likely offenders, with the North-East of England the worst black spot.

The FSA warns against washing meat because harmful bacteria can splash to worktops, dishes and utensils.

Germs that cause food poisoning can linger on surfaces for days.

Judith Hilton, head of Microbiological Safety at the Food Standards Agency, said: "Most people think they know how to prepare the Christmas meal with their eyes shut.

"But we've found that there are still a couple of Christmas food safety clangers served up each year. Turkey washing seems to be the most common blunder."

Ms Hilton said it was not possible to wash off all potential disease-causing agents from meat using water - the only way to kill them was to cook the meat thoroughly.

"By washing your raw turkey, you're actually more likely to spread the germs than get rid of them," she said.

Results from the survey show that 17% of people are not sure how to tell when their turkey is cooked.

Although formal reported incidents are fairly low, 2% of people think they have suffered from festive food poisoning in the past 5 years.

To ensure that turkey is cooked properly, make sure it is piping hot all the way through, cut into the thickest part to check that none of the meat is pink, and if juices run out they should be clear. The temperature should reach 70C for a least two minutes during the cooking process.

More than 2,000 people took part in the survey.

Thats a lucky one, I'm having goose this year

Not if you put a hose up its cloaca* in the garden!

* I should say 'vent' because its cloaca would have been removed.

My grandfather, Bill Cutts, ('The Rabbit King') was a poultry market trader in Dudley from the 1920's onwards. Every 'lead-up' to Christmas, till the late 1950's, would see turkeys hanging on every picture rail, door ****, (even in my bedroom), all down the stairs, in the 'coal place', sheds and Anderson Shelter; and they were not the crazy white ones; they were real turkeys!

They would be 'feathered' (plucked) and 'tapered' in the living room and drawn in the kitchen and re-hung. Trouble is today, we're TOO CLEAN and TOO HYGIENIC for our own good!

I'm immune! Gobble, gobble.

Guest The Outlaw

Anyway washing your meat doesnt mean it will taste better, Calam wont do meat unless she has had a mouthful of Minty mouth

wash, especially realy salty meat like bacon.

Tony

I once contracted Camphylobacter from picking a chicken carcass I had left out because the fridge was full of beer.Learned my lesson bigtime.However I do tend to put meat into the pan or oven without washing.I rely on the fact that most bugs are killed by cooking,as described.Plus the fact that I cant be bothered.

I once contracted Camphylobacter from picking a chicken carcass I had left out because the fridge was full of beer.Learned my lesson bigtime.However I do tend to put meat into the pan or oven without washing.I rely on the fact that most bugs are killed by cooking,as described.Plus the fact that I cant be bothered.

You should have cooked it, first :P !

I hate it the way the government tells you what to eat and what not to eat. Its up to me what I want to eat.

The advice is good.....

Its the rest of us (through the NHS vis taxes) that have to pay to treat the few irresponsible idiots when they are hospitalised with stomach bugs through not using basic common sense, there is alot to be said for not washing poultry then splashing water around the worktops.

How many times on the telly have we seen the so called experts stuff a bird then grab knives etc, speading germs everywhere it makes me cringe the number of times it happens.

Nigella Lawson the other day stuffed the Turkey then started simpering and sucking the orange marmalade off her fingers, silly cow!!

Hope you all have a happy and safe christmas :good:

:lol: D2D

I've had that too..

Exept mine was from a Well known fast food supplier with a "M" in it's name and their filthy milkshake

I hate it the way the government tells you what to eat and what not to eat. Its up to me what I want to eat.

The advice is good.....

Its the rest of us (through the NHS vis taxes) that have to pay to treat the few irresponsible idiots when they are hospitalised with stomach bugs through not using basic common sense, there is alot to be said for not washing poultry then splashing water around the worktops.

How many times on the telly have we seen the so called experts stuff a bird then grab knives etc, speading germs everywhere it makes me cringe the number of times it happens.

Nigella Lawson the other day stuffed the Turkey then started simpering and sucking the orange marmalade off her fingers, silly cow!!

Hope you all have a happy and safe christmas :good:

:lol: D2D

i would definately simper whilst sucking orange marmalade off niggellas

fingers even if she has had them up her old bird ummmmmmm :unsure:

paddy