AYA No2, should I buy?

gadgit

Hi all.

I'm new to the shot gun world but have been reading up (as you do)

I've been advised to go for an O/U from all the stores and this seems ok to me, until My man next door offers me his gun. Two options are in my head with this gun which is an AYA No2. serial 184679. At first it seems a good gun, but there are a couple of small dents in the left tube? I've tried to photo them with some success but its not easy to capture the dents. He bought the gun about ten years ago and it seems to me that the serial No suggests it an 1960-65 made gun.

So, the dents in the left tube?? are they critical for the gun? can they be pressed or driven out, do they need to be removed, he says the gun shoots fine.

Cost of repair would be?

And of course its a S/S which does look great, 26inch barrells.

whats he want for it? £500, with a steel gun cabinet, and carry case.

My thoughts are, I could use it to learn with, sell it on and get an O/U at a later date if I wanted to? I just don't want to buy trouble for my fist gun.

But it is sooooo pretty!!

2007_1214first0002.jpg

2007_1214first0001.jpg

2007_1214first0004.jpg

IMG]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd193/gadgit1/2007_1214first0006.jpg[/img]

2007_1214first0001.jpg

2007_1214first0006.jpg

Guest The Outlaw

Can you see signs of the dents inside the barrels, if you can it is a big problem and I personally wouldnt shoot it.

The best thing to do is get it to a gunsmith and have it checked over.

Tony

I can see this dent here quite clearly and you might see the results of that on the inside of the barrels too. £500 quid and there are dents evident, stuff that, keep looking, you can get a decent O/U for £500!!! Besides, is an SxS double trigger really the gun to start shooting with if you have £500 to burn?

post-3070-1197666192.jpg

That’s a shame. I like sxs and have a couple of very tidy AyA 25’s and an old (same vintage 1963) No. 4 that’s a bit of a dog, cosmetically but I shoot very well with it and I use it as a wet day gun. I wouldn’t throw it out of my cabinet.

I can see a mark on the stock in the photos, but that could be a crack or just a scratch.

The damage to the gun barrels makes its purchase very marginal. The damage can be repaired but when you add the cost of that to the purchase price it’s not going to be recoverable when you want to resell it. Recently I saw a no2 made aprox 1979/80 in very good order for 750.

It all depends on the type of shooting you want to do. If you want to shoot clays, go and buy a gun for that discipline.

Thanks chaps,

Brilliant advice, which will be taken. The gun will stay where it is.

As some of you have said, I think I'll stick to my first plan and get a good SH O/U like a Miroku, Browning, Beretta.

I've looked at the other posts concerning these guns and the trouble is some of the older guys say you should start with an old S/S, But I think

I'll try and get the right gun from the start.

I'll be back!!!!

Hi,

I have a AYA no 4, they are a very nice gun, light, so good for rough shooting.

I would not touch that one though, dents in the barrel, a lot of the wood seems soaked in oil, and the scroll work etc seems quite faded, at £500- no way!

You should be able to pick up a AYA no 4 in a good condition for private £200-250- shop £300- to £450- with some type of warranty on it.

On thing to watch out for is the chokes, a fair number of AYA's are heavily choked i.e. full and 3/4. that would be too much for you as a learner, unless you are a naturally good shot from the start, look for one with chokes of 1/2 max or even 1/4 and improved cylinder.

Just wait and get the right one for you, I know you want to get out there, but you will have the gun for some time, so make sure its the one you can be happy with.

Hope this is of some use?