certs in, 2 questions

casts_by_fly

Hi All,

My certs came back a week ago, and after picking them up I realized I had some new questions come up. Hopefully someone here can answer easily. I'm guessing the answers are obvious to anyone who has been around the block a time or two.

(1) Shotgun certs don't specify make, model, or bore of the gun. They also don't specify how many you can have. Does that mean that you can more or less buy shotgun as will? With the FAC, you hae to put in a variation for each gun you want to buy. Does that apply with the shotgun cert? For instance, I added a 12 bore O/U to my cert that I already own. If I found a deal on a 20b O/U tomorrow, could I go to the gun shop and buy it, and just add it onto my cert?

(2) I was granted a 22 caliber moderator. I asked for a .22 cal mod since I wa asking for a 223 rem, 22 LR, and 17 HMR. I figured I can use a 22 caliber mod on both a 22 and 17 bore diameter, and so long as I got a mod rated for center fire it would be fine on a rimfire as well. However, thinking back I applied for a 22 caliber moderator. Will it be legal for me to use it on a 17, since I didn't specifically ask for a 17 moderator? My primary intent with the moderator was for a 223 moderated to use without a set of ear phones. Also, to have something quieted down for evening/night/around houses shooting.

Thanks,

Rick

They don't really care what mods you buy, it's just the authority to buy them that matters. Once you own them you can attach them to what rifles you please. I always apply for one for each firearm, I applied for 3 centrefires and 3 mods, bought 2 T8s and have a slot on my ticket for another if I want one. Same with rimfires really.

When your field officer comes to check your security, he or she will decide how many guns you can keep in your house - normally five is the limit unless you fit an alarm - the Yale wireless ones usually will do. Get a bloody great gun cabinet - you will always run out of room in your cabinet, ideally with a lockable top, and a small safe too, as you'll run out of bolt and ammo storage space too. Plus it's one more bit of security.

If the field officer OKs, say, five guns in your home, and you've got, say, four firearms on your FAC, then you can have those four plus one shotgun. If you're OK'd for ten guns, you could have the four firearms and six shotguns. Whatever shotguns you like, as long as no more than three rounds in mag+chamber, and no rifled 'slug' barrels. These variants are classed as firearms. As long as they're buyable on a SGC, you could have all calibres from a punt gun to a 9mm garden gun, or for that matter five 12-bore Silver Pigeons if you like.

I'll give them a ring on monday to confirm about the moderators. I'm not terribly concerned with it since I mainly wanted it for one gun.

I have a 9 gun cabinet and 5 guns approved to go in it at the moment (1 shotgun, 4 rifles). However, given the airline constraints, I may only bring back my shotgun and HMR at first.

FYI to anyone traveling, Delta airlines is fairly limiting in what you can carry under their free baggage. You can have one rifle case with 2 rifles or two shotgun cases with one gun in each. I had planned to use one 4-gun case and carry my two bolt rifles, O/U breakdown shotgun and single shot break down rifle. For Virgin I would be fine, but Delta won't allow it.

Choose your flights carefully and don't forget about connecting flights.

Thanks

Rick

If you are stopped by PC Plod with say a .223 with a moderator fitted and you do not have your .223 listed for a moderator you will be in a spot of bother.

Each rifle MUST be listed on your ticket for use with a moderator if you intend to fit a moderator to it, you can have just one moderator and swap it about as you wish.

Best call your licencing chap and ask his advice mate, it will not take long to sort out.