Young Shot

shotgun-jamie

I go out shooting nearly every week for rabbits and normally get a rabbit every 2 shots however lately we have been roost shooting on some new land we only go for around 1 hour and the pigeons arent every were but if you can get a flightline you can get some good sport we only get around 4 or 5 :xmas: and i find them very difficult to hit normally i only get 1 every 4 or 5 shots can anyone offer me any advice or tips on how to get more birds?

For roost shooting you would be best advised to wear a hat, gloves and face veil. Wait until the pigeons are the size of dinner plates before you shoot. Avoid movement. It has often been said that roost shooting was invented by cartridge manufacturers, as the cartridge to kill ratio is usually pathetic, but roost shooting can offer some exciting moments and testing shots.

webber

I cant hit pigons either, problem is i can hit clays fairly well, so im not sure what im doing wrong :xmas: it might be the fact that because im trying to quickly get my gun into my shoulder that i dont get it mounted corectly and also the fact that i dont have the proper stance. it could also be my hair gets in the way, really confuses me :lol::) . I think practise is in order.

Try dry mounting at home. It will improve your gun mount for when you are out in the field so you will have less shots mucked up because of bad gun mount.

Hair in the way? Get a trim. :lol:

Out shooting with my 20 bore last night I had gloves and a green baseball cap on as well as my brown Barbour. I had positioned myself on the edge of a thick patch of brambles. When you spot pigeons approaching the woods I raise the gun so it's just dropped out of my shoulder so I don't have to mount it when they get nearer and risk being spotted. When they get within range I chose my target, finishing mounting the gun into the shoulder and swing and shoot in one quick movement. Hopefully this should result in the pigeon spiraling out of the sky. :) Last night I shot a squirrel and 2 pigeon for 3 cartridges. :xmas:

FM :lol:

NEVER!!! I look really stupid with short hair, i also look stupid with a hat on and with my hair tucked behind my ear. Its a lose - lose situation.

I'll give your part mounting tequnique a go, and see how i do. Maybe i will be able to get revenge on that pigeon that tricked me :lol: :lol:

NEVER!!! I look really stupid with short hair, i also look stupid with a hat on and with my hair tucked behind my ear. Its a lose - lose situation.

I'll give your part mounting tequnique a go, and see how i do. Maybe i will be able to get revenge on that pigeon that tricked me :lol: :lol:

:lol: Fair enough. Are you coming on the 28th?

FM :good:

Hair in the way? Get a trim. :good:

:lol: Fair enough. Are you coming on the 28th?

FM :D

:lol: ill try to come on the 28th, but im not sure if i will be free.

• 3 weeks later...

Not wishing to preach, it's just an idea but some times these birds are faster than you think?... what ever lead you're giving them DOUBLE it!!

Plus have a go with the clay pigeons and see if you can get an experience shooter to stand behind you when you shoot, and get them to tell you where you are missing the bird and by how much, you will find the majority of shooters friendly and helpful....But keep at it I'm sure you will get there ???