rough shoot

russ91

Depends? Do you mean a days rough shooting or the land itself?

If you are talking of land then a piece with a wide variety of habitats that will hold a variety of quarry species would be ideal rough shoting territory. A good lowland rough shoot would have a selection of small spinneys and copses, thick hedges, ponds, small fields with hopefully some stubbles and root crops, ditches, drains, wet marshy areas and if you are lucky a stretch of river. If you can have all of that on a piece of shooting ground then you would be a very lucky man.

I suppose the essence of a good rough shoot is a mixed bag of preferably wild game taken with good company. Walking around a farm with a mate and shooting two dozen pheasants that have wandered over from the big shoot next door would not be good a good rough shoot in my eyes.

In an ideal rough shoot you would have :-

1) Pond(s) for duck shooting.

2) Woods for stalking with an air rifle and also to big enough to hold pheasants

3) A farmer that grows rape/wheat etc so that you can get some decent pigeon shooting.

4) Thick hedges bordering the fields so that you can stalk, plus if you have a dog then it can work them.

5) A chicken farm to attract foxes

6) A nearby lake for a bit of geese flighting.

At the end of the day you gets what you have, and put a shed-load of work in to modify it as best as you can.

Oh, and a sympathetic farmer that will not let any Tom, **** and Harry shoot if they knock on his door - loyalty should breed loyalty.

Well, that's my idea of what I dream about.......

Don

thanks lads well my permishon is manely barley fields with hay medows it has a small pond and a small marsh lots of dykes n ditches

there are wild partrages and some times wild ducks plenty of pigeon n crovids

any tips would be much apresheated

and any pics of your shoots would be much apesheated

regards russ

Depends? Do you mean a days rough shooting or the land itself?

If you are talking of land then a piece with a wide variety of habitats that will hold a variety of quarry species would be ideal rough shoting territory. A good lowland rough shoot would have a selection of small spinneys and copses, thick hedges, ponds, small fields with hopefully some stubbles and root crops, ditches, drains, wet marshy areas and if you are lucky a stretch of river. If you can have all of that on a piece of shooting ground then you would be a very lucky man.

I suppose the essence of a good rough shoot is a mixed bag of preferably wild game taken with good company. Walking around a farm with a mate and shooting two dozen pheasants that have wandered over from the big shoot next door would not be good a good rough shoot in my eyes.

a great reply scolo :/

when are we going :/